Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to tack CapEx in JIRA

We are using dedicated agile product teams and are moving away from formal project management and timesheets. We are using JIRA and are looking for a way to track CapEx. I have found formulas to compute these numbers but was wondering if there is a way to tag work in JIRA to indicate that it is CapEx or OpEx?

3 answers

1 vote
Jack Community Leader Jun 20, 2018

I need more info to be able to offer effective ideas I expect. What do you mean by track opex/capex? Do you want to simply filter on issues that involve these or do you want to total expenditures. For the former you could do this via uniques issuetypes or a custom field or maybe components would work. 

I don’t see Jira as a effective tool for reporting financial details but it might meet your needs. Too, an addon like EasyBI might come in handy here. 

Jack Community Leader Jun 22, 2018

So you can do this OOTB. 

• Create a drop down or checkbox custom field where you can select the financial category 
  • if you plan to have multiple product types within a Jira project then create another custom field to select the product or use existing Components field.
  • enable and require time logging.

issue assignees must select the correct values. Then you can generate reports leveraging these fields.

Thank you - we will try that.

You can use Quantify to automatically track development time and then use the full power of JQL to query tickets marked as Capex. This can be a custom field, label or any other combination. Data can be exported and provided to accounting with the ability to trace down the numbers.

Thank you for your quick reply. What we were hoping to do was to tag issues that should be capitalized (CapEx), ask the resource to record the number of hours for that issue, and then be able to provide our accounting department with a traceable number of hours charged to capitalized tasks per product type.

If you use Tempo and setup Accounts you can accomplish this.  We are currently using this for our CapEx reporting along with EazyBI.  We have gone from traditional waterfall to agile.  Our PdM's or PO's will set the account field.  We discovered we needed to make this a required field as well.  We found this to be more accurate than using the Teams function  in Tempo.  

We are setting up Tempo right now and transitioning from waterfall to Agile.  I would like to hear more about how you set this up.  Tempo seems to allow only one Account code to be active on a Project.  We have a default Expense code, and for Capital projects we assign the capital code when we have a DLE estimate, which is derived from estimates at the User Story level.  Any advise or suggestions you have would be GREATLY appreciated.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

How to create Jira issus from Excel file?

When to use CSV importer When managing your processes in Jira, there are many occasions where you need to create a lot of tasks. Creating them one by one will cost you a lot of time and effort and i...

4,496 views 22 32
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you