How to switch out of simple workflow?

Ashlee Hudson January 4, 2018

Trying to add custom column it appears when I create it under 'board settings' but I can't change status and the column doesn't appear in my board after I do this. Help?

2 answers

0 votes
Maria Campbell April 3, 2023

I also am trying to never use simplified workflows. They are not helpful to me. I have the builds workflow applied to most of my other projects, but somehow I am no longer able to implement it all of a sudden. WHY?

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2018

@Ashlee Hudson, some screen shots might help here. So you are going to the board settings and have added a column but the column doesn't show once you return to the board view, correct? This would be odd. Also have you mapped one or more statuses to the new column? You also say you can't change status, what exactly does that mean. Does that mean you can drag an issue from one column into the new column or something else?

Hey there thanks for getting backScreen Shot 2018-01-04 at 11.20.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-04 at 11.20.42 AM.png to me!  The first screenshot shows when I'm changing or adding a column which appears to be added although it won't let me add a status. The second screenshot is when I go back to the board the column doesn't exist. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2018

the first shot shows the issue. you have no unmapped statuses and no status mapped to the Testing/QA column so as it indicates the column will not display on the board. Now I will go out on the limb and guess at what you should do here.

1) add a new status for the Testing/QA state, e.g. "QA", into your workflow

2) go to board settings and map (drag/drop) "QA" to the new column

hope that helps!

Hey @Jack Brickey I tried to add a new status but it won't let me! It's greyed out and unchangeable because I am in the 'simplified workflow'.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2018

got it you will need to move off the Jira simplified workflow to achieve your goals. so are you an admin? that will be important as we proceed here.

Can you edit the existing workflow? Go to project > project settings > workflow and click the pencil. This is where you would add a status and link in the transitions. Note: if this is a default workflow used by other projects I recommend making a copy and editing it then associate the new workflow to the project so that you don't impact other projects. To associate the workflow once created you can do so via project > project settings > workflow > add workflow and associate the issue types to it or change the workflow scheme all together. 

It might be worth reading this document  for more details - Workflows

@Jack Brickey Yes I am an admin. I cannot find the project settings tab. Can you send me a screenshot? 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2018

I should have asked earlier - cloud or server? I'm on cloud currently using new UI experience (example below). If server, I recommend looking at this document for details of how to find and edit workflows - Workflows (7.6 version).

Screenshot_1_4_18__1_16_PM.png

Suggest an answer