How to stop existing user sending invite to others to join JIRA

Padmambika Samaga January 2, 2020

We have SaaS based JIRA configured in our organisation.  As a JIRA site administrator, i would like disable the option of existing users sending invite to others to join JIRA. 

I have unchecked the option in Site Access, but still existing JIRA users are able to send invite to others.  While i referred few documentation on this problem, i was told that, the new users will not be added to JIRA but a request email would be sent to site admin to accept the request.  But in my experience the new user gets added to the JIRA and intimation email is sent to site admin. 

Please help me with an option to disable this. 

Will the option - "only invited users can join" option will help me resolve this problem?

With this option i understand a invite email is sent to new user. I assume user can register him/herself with email id to which the request is sent. 

We have G-suite as our email client, will that help in blocking non company domain email ids from being registered through the invite email i had shared.

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2020

Jira admins have the ability to invite others. Where/how are these users inviting new users? If it is thru Jira settings > user management then they are listed as an administrator. Remove the, from administrator role.

Padmambika Samaga January 2, 2020

Hi Jack,

The users are not site admins.  

This is how the new user is getting the link and joining the JIRA

a. An existing user is sending the link of the JIRA project by copying from Browser address bar) to a new joiner. 

b. New user clicks on the link, it opens a JIRA page where user is prompted to give email id.

c. The person enters the official email id

d. Gets authenticated as i have enabled "anyone from domain can access" option in site access

e. New user is given access to JIRA. 

f. As a site admin i receive an email. 

If i disable "Anyone from domain can access" option and enable only "Only invited users can join" i have query here - If i share the invite to a new user on their office email id, will the user be able to use his personal gmail id to login to JIRA.  Will JIRA enforces to use same email id on to which invite is sent.  

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2020

Please go to Jira settings > user management > site management > site access and change to only user your team invites

Suggest an answer