How to start a free trial of Greenhopper

Liselore Verschuren December 5, 2012

I've downloaden a free trial of Jira two days ago. I would now also like to try an addition of Greenhopper with it. If I go to the Greenhopper page of Atlassian and click on the free trial and then choose start the free download trial, a screen appears with three questions:

- Not using Jira yet?

- Already using Jira 4.3 or later?

- Already using Jira 4.2. or earlier?

I pick the option already using Jira 4.3. or later. Then there is a description to go to Administration in your Jira and to click the Plugins link under the System section in the left menu to open the Universial Plugin Manager.

No matter how hard I look, I don't see a Plugins link under the System section in the left menu, nor anything related to it, or a Universal Plugin Manager.

How do I get a free trial of Greenhopper? Do I first have to buy Jira instead of using a trial of Jira? But if I'm not sure the Greenhopper add-on will work for me, I don't want Jira...

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nicholas Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2012

I shall get this updated. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Regards,
Nicholas Muldoon
@GreenHopperTeam

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2012

Those links ARE the universal plugin manager.

When you click on "plugins", it takes you into the main body of it, which is titled "manage my plugins". It will show you the currently installed plugins and has a search for new ones. Just type greenhopper in there and you'll find it and be able to install it.

Have a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/UPM/Using+the+Universal+Plugin+Manager

Found the find new plug-ins at Atlassian Marketplace ages ago. It's just that when I search for Greenhopper, I either get the message that the Atlassian Marketplace server is not reachable or that there are no plug-ins matching my search criteria.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2012

Argh. You really should have told us that before. You DO have the "plugin" links referred to in your original question, and everything is working barring the marketplace connection.

You have two options

1. Fix the link to the marketplace. It's probably a firewall on your server or network blocking outgoing access to the internet. You will need to debug that, probably by reading your log file. One minor point though - if you're using Jira over SSL, you may not get told that it's a certificate issue if that is the problem.

2. Download the plugin manually from the marketplace to your machine. Then go to the UPM and look for the "upload plugin" link, which will prompt you for the plugin location - give it the file you just downloaded.

Yes! Just managed to do option 2. Thanks!

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2012

Can you confirm what version of Jira you are running? (It's in the footer at the bottom of most screens)

I ask because your comment about "system section in the left menu" implies you are on version 4.something (or 3!) and not version 5. The UPM only became available in later versions of 4, so if you're on too early a version, it's not going to be there.

I have version 5.2.1

I know, there's all kind of plug-in links there. There's no Universal Plug-in manager though, and all the other plug-in pages don't lead to a page where I can download Greenhopper...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2012

Ok, so if you click Administration at the top right, you should go to the main admin pages - look for "plugins" on there (near the top of the main body of the page).

Or look for "plugins" on the menu bar that you get when you're in admin mode

Suggest an answer