How to solve the fact that conditions do not apply to triggers!

flowjo_mg August 29, 2017

I have a fairly complex workflow for a story. The developer gets the story and its subtasks assigned to them, and then they create feature branches from the story. When a pull request into the feature branch is approved, the ticket moves to InReview and a feature branch build is performed. (We are working on a Java desktop app.)  Then the story goes through a bunch of SQA steps, and finally, the feature branch is approved to merge into develop with a pull request. I am trying to have triggers that can differentiate the pulls to move the stories into their correct status. This works, but I need all subtasks to be code complete before I want to allow the story to proceed. So, if an engineer performs the pull request, I want to have a condition to make sure the subtasks of the story are in the correct status.

As it turns out, Conditions DO NOT EFFECT TRIGGERS! Does anyone have any idea how to handle this issue?

Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2017

I am afraid you will have to modify your workflow to, maybe, introduce a new workflow state. Triggers are designed to automate transitions and so they will override conditions and validators.

In this case, you might need two states - one indicating that the PR is merged and another to indicate that all the subtasks are done. How you incorporate it into your workflow depends on your overall process.

Suggest an answer