How to show traceability of artifacts per release between Jira, Confluence, and Bitbucket

David Julien September 6, 2018

This may be a bit winded, so please bear with me...

I come from a company that used PTC Source and PTC Integrity Manager.  PTC Source was basically a repository for all of our SW Development artifacts outlined by our process (all except requirements, which we used DOORs to maintain).  PTC Integrity Manager was the issue tracking side of things.  When and issue was created, a developer would open a Change Package based on the Issue Number.  As artifacts (design documents, source code, unit test documents) were updated according to the Issue, they were checked in/out of PTC Source based on the Change Package.  So for any issue you could easily look up the revision of each artifact touched in order to know what was implemented.  Then, for each SW Release, a Release Package was created, and in it went all the issues assigned to that Release Package.  So when an issue came back form the customer, all we had to know was the SW Release Version and we could look up the snapshot of the project at that time based on the Release Package information.  

If Jira is my issue tracker (similar to Integrity Manager) and Confluence can be used for Documentation (I.e Design) storage, how can I use Jira, Confluence, and Bitbucket to be able to maintain the same traceability of issue ->revisions of design documents -> source code -> unit tests/results for each release?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

1 answer

0 votes
David Julien September 7, 2018

I am beginning to understand through some of the tutorials that this is not a configuration management tool, not can it ever be fooled into becoming one....

Loran Saggu March 21, 2019

Hi David - any update or additional thought on this? I am having trouble trying to find ways to track manifest items and metadata related to issues/stories in JIRA. Ideally, I'd want a way to pull together all of the manifest items for a given release/version/group of stories.

Suggest an answer