How to show Done issues on Backlog page?

Arun Salvi September 6, 2015

I want to show Completed/Done Issues on Backlog page like as Recently Updated and Only My Issue.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2015

That makes no sense.  If an issue is completed/done, then by definition, it should NOT appear in the backlog.

Matthew Thorley November 7, 2018

Maybe the user wants to use that pane to quickly categorize older issues by dragging them on to the epics pane. That is exactly what I want to do. I ended up on this page by google search because I want to see closed issues in the backlog pane.

I want to use the pane as a "Administrative" view rather than a classical backlog.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2018

That's not the right approach.  The issues are done, so they should not be in the backlog, as they're just noise.

If you want to re-link them to different epics, search for them and use bulk-edit to set a new epic-link.  (Not that there is usually a lot of point, as they're done)

Like chris_b likes this
igorngervasio January 6, 2020

We don't need to judge if it makes sense or not.

@Arun Salvi if you understand that it is important to you and will help you in your work. The link below explains what you want

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/I-want-to-be-able-to-view-closed-issues-in-the-new-plan-mode/qaq-p/126690

Like # people like this
Thomas Quiroga February 19, 2020

i have marked the wrong issue as done while sorting my old backlog items... Cannot access it, I had so much documentation on it... I don't want to rewrite :| 

Like shawker likes this
Frank Troglauer March 21, 2022

You could always show the Issues navigator for the project instead of showing it in the backlog and find the issue there.

Project Settings -> Features -> Issue navigator.

Like # people like this
jcagorilla August 23, 2023

This scrum purist are so toxic. Just say if it's possible or not. If possible, share the steps.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2023

@jcagorilla - it's nothing to do with "Scrum purists", it's about making a process work.

Is the issue done or not?  Can you tell us why a "done" issue should appear in a list of things that need more attention because they are not "done"?

It's not possible to show a done issue in a list of issues that are not done, because of the very definitions of the words and concepts in use.

Most humans do not "get" quantum physics (including me), where you could have things that are in two contradictory states at the same time.  Almost all of us need a clear answer to "is it done?" so that we can put it in the right place - the backlog, the board, or "we don't need to think about this again".

And, exactly as @Frank Troglauer says - the exact state is not that important

• it's in the backlog when it needs (re) looking at and no-one has got to it yet
  • it's in the board when it is in progress
  • it's in the "done" list when it needs no more attention from the team owning the board

And you can always find them using the issue navigator, whatever the state.

jcagorilla August 24, 2023

"That makes no sense.  If an issue is completed/done, then by definition, it should NOT appear in the backlog." - That's your answer to the question "How to show Done issues on Backlog page?"

Do you think that answered the question? Just say "no, not possible." Then explain why Jira designed it that way.

Besides, if Jira can make the Status visible then inform the users that they cannot add a Done backlog item to a sprint, that will be a better design.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2023

The answer to "how to show done issues on a backlog" is "do not".

It is complete nonsense to show issues that are "done" in a page/report/display that you are asking to show you "issues that are not done".

It's not "no, not possible", it's "make up your mind whether the issue is done or not"

jcagorilla August 24, 2023

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- The point is you answer rudely. By answering the way you did, you invalidated an inquiry.

You do not know what's their use case/scenario. Perhaps they migrated their backlog items from other platform to Jira and was surprise to see some items are not visible.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2023

I know my writing comes across as "rude" sometimes.  I do not intend to be rude, but factual, but I'm human and we all get it wrong. 

I have been rude, grumpy, and confrontational,  in the past, but Atlassian people have helped me tone it down to "factual without being aggressive/rude/insulting" over the last few years since we became the community, moving on from the last places we've had since 2002. 

So.

I cannot see where I have "invalidated a query".  I am guessing that means "I've pointed out that a question you have needs more explanation" because we do not have enough information to be able to answer it.

The "use case" here is complete nonsense, whatever they think they're trying to do.

Suggest an answer