How to setup roles in Jira User Stories (not licensed users)

Robert Heavill September 19, 2019

I need to create User Stories in Jira Scrum and Jira Core that include roles, but do not want to create a licensed user for this.  Example:  In an accounting application there are multiple roles such as AR Analyst or AP Processor roles that are part of the "As a …".  After creating a number of User Stories, I'd like to sort, filter, or display on the Board and other reports that are specific for that Role.   Do I need to crate a field called Role in all the Issues?

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2019

You certainly could create a role field and it would meet your requirements. However, you might consider using the existing Components field as it has the added benefit of being able to set the Assignee based upon the component.

Robert Heavill September 22, 2019

Hi, I appreciate the reply.  I have comments on this solution:

1.  I'm using both Classic and Next Gen scurm boards.  It looks like components are not available in the Nex Gen scurm boards.

2.  Since I'm don't plan on using the assignee at this point, no advantage to that - but I did learn a lot about what assignee can do.

Thanks for the help, and I may skip the Next Gen setup to get the components.  First I need to try adding the field.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2019

Hi @Robert Heavill

An alternative is to search for the role from within Description.

You can do this by searching description ~ "As a Role" - although it will locate the word in any part of the description, so if you had a story which mentions Developer but not as the role, it'd still pick this up.

You could use an app such as ScriptRunner to build a more exact query - such as looking for an exact match of "As a Role" in the Summary field.

But if you want it saved as actual metadata - so you could visualise the number of stories assigned to Role X - I'd say Jack's suggestion of component is ideal :)

Ste

Robert Heavill September 22, 2019

Hi Ste, I need to do further discovery on my comment back to Jack that components are not available in the Next Gen Scrum Boards.   The script would work for queries, but components would be the best solution.  As indicated in my reply to Jack, I may abandon the Next Gen Boards to get the component features.  So, build Classic and Next Gen in parallel for now.

Suggest an answer