How to set the starting issue number for a project in Jira Cloud?

Rodrigo Ramos Santiago August 20, 2019

When creating a new project, you want to define the number that starts the project's issue ID's. For example, you want to start your project from JIRA-1000 and not JIRA-1.

Would it be possible in Jira Cloud? I know that it is in Jira Software.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2019

You can't do it on Server either, natively.  The tricks you've got are:

• Scripting (Server only)
  • Hacking the database (Server only)
  • Creating / importing 999 issues you then delete (works on both)
Rodrigo Ramos Santiago August 21, 2019

I had thought about the last suggestion but I thought that would have some other native way. Thanks for your answer

3 votes
jira guy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2019

Not sure if you wanna do this. You can try a CSV import with the key JIRA-1000 and summary. I am guessing when you create a ticket it will take the next number JIRA-1001.

I have done a lot of migrations. I believe that's how it works. You can test this. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2019

i would be surprised if that worked but never have tried so would be interested in results. :-)

Johannes Trageser October 21, 2021

This solution works fine:

Issue Key Number.png

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 20, 2019

Hi Rodrigo, welcome to the Community. This has been asked and answered previously. If you look to the right under Recommendations the first one is a good example. That conveyed, no you cannot do this. There was an old suggestion for this capability (JRACLOUD-31618) that was declined.

Suggest an answer