How to search for non-empty text fields in JIRA Cloud

Elsa Sousa November 18, 2020

Hi all,

I've tried a few approaches to solve the issue below and now I'm out of ideas, maybe you can help

I have a query that returns all issues where a custom field, called 'other tech notes', is not empty. This custom field is a text field that allows for multiple lines. the query looks like this:

project = XPTO and 'other tech notes' is not empty

My problem is that, if someone writes something on that field and then deletes what they wrote, the field is set to "none" on the JIRA interface, but the issue is still returned by the query.

I'm guessing the field is now blank instead of empty, but none of the JQL operators allow me to search for "" on a text field. E.g. the query below does not work:

project = XPTO and ('other tech notes' is not empty or 'other tech notes' != "")

Any ideas? To fix the query, or, alternatively, set the field back to empty...

Thanks in advance

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2020

Hi @Elsa Sousa 

There appears to be a pending fix for this defect, which you may view and vote for here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-74809

Best regards,

Bill

Elsa Sousa November 18, 2020

Aww shucks... thank you!

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2020

Depending on your project backlog size, you could do a work-around and export to a spreadsheet to perform the query also.

__Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events