How to schedule jobs in Jira

vivekrao_k June 9, 2021

HI Everyone,

i am trying to take Jira attachments backup which we are not able to perform with XML backup. i would like to schedule a job for taking attachment backup in Jira.

one of you please help us on the same, which is a P1 task currently.

1 answer

0 votes
Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2021

There is no attachments backup feature in Jira so I would recommend using regular backup tools to backup the directory of the attachments (<jira-home>/data/attachments).

Or you could create a cronjob on your Jira server to perform a copy of that directory.

Please note the XML backup mechanism is not recommended for production backup purposes. It would be better to backup your database and filesystem separately.

vivekrao_k June 10, 2021

HI @Charlie Misonne 

Thank you so much for the response. could you please suggest a best method for Jira daily backup for production

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2021

Hi @vivekrao_k 

Well you have to backup 2 things at least:

• Your database
    How to do this depends on your database type (postgres, mysql, sql server, oracle, ...)
  • The data directory where attachments and other important data can be stored
    This can be done with a simple cron script

Ideally you schedule the backups of of both items at the same time.

Some companies also chose to take regular VM snaphots when their application run on a VM. If your database is on the same VM and is only used for Jira  you don't have to take a separate DB database. But the caveat is when you only want to restore the DB you need to restore the full VM. Everything has pros and cons :-)

You can read more about this on Backing up data.

Suggest an answer