How to remove the 'everything else' swimlane?

Norman Hills June 11, 2012

We having fun setting up a cross-project Kanban board & configuring swimlanes, one thing we're running into is that it displays really slowly, this seems to be due to there being 2500 issues in the 'everything else' lane - you can't seem to exclude this lane from the display - any ideas?

Cheers

Norman

3 answers

3 votes
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2012

The swimlane will not appear unless there is something to show in it. So if you do not want it to appear you have two options:

• You can change the base filter for the Rapid Board so that the issues that do not match one of the swimlanes do not appear in the board at all
  • You could change the 'work mode sub filter' for the Rapid Board so that the issues that do not match one of the swimlanes are filtered out and will not appear on the work mode (note that this will cause those issues to still affect the reports shown in Report mode)

Thanks,
Shaun

paul-v February 27, 2018

Shaun - please can you let me know of a method of searching for items which only appear in the "Everything Else" area?

As the only way to "unpopulate" it is to perform an action on items which appear in it - it makes sense to provide an option for people to be able to search for items specifically in that area.

If it doesn't exist as a searchable option - I believe it would be a very useful addition for future updates of JIRA.

Performing bulk actions on issues in the "Everything Else" area, knowing that other swimlanes would be unaffected, would be hugely beneficial IMO.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2018

This is a six year old post, and Software has been significantly changed since then.

However, the swimlane principles are very similar.  If you want to remove the "everything else" lane, change your board query so that items that would fall into it are no longer selected by the board.

How you exclude them depends entirely on your swimlane set up.  What are you currently using for swimlanes?

paul-v February 27, 2018

The swimlanes are based on Queries. Each swimlane is defined by fixVersion = SWILANE.

Not all issues were given a fixVersion - so some are blank. They would be relatively easy to filter out. It is the other items (c. 500) that are not so easy. That's why I would find searching specifically for issues held in the "Everything Else" area useful. Please let me know if you need any more info. I appreciate your assistance.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2018

Ok, your queries are all going to be fixversion based, so, let's say you've got a simple scheme, where the first swimlane is "fixVersion = v1", second is "fixVersion = v2" and so-on through to "fixVersion = v5"

Alter the board query to say "And fixVersion in (v1, v2, v3, v4, v5)"

paul-v February 27, 2018

Thank you for that info. However, that does precisely the opposite to what I am trying to achieve. I wish to select items in the "Everything Else" area - in order to move them into specific fixVersions - but can't seem to narrow a search to include solely that area.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 27, 2018

Ah, I see.  Do the opposite then.  Run "And fixVersion not in (v1, v2, v3, v4, v5)"

paul-v February 27, 2018

Sounds silly but that never occurred to me. Thank you. I'll try it and let you know how I get on.

paul-v February 28, 2018

Yes - by searching for all excluding the known criteria using "And fixVersion not in..." - it exposes the issues held in the "Everything Else" area. Thanks for your suggestion! :-)

0 votes
Veronika June 4, 2019

Hi, I have a board that collects the issues from 3 projects. In the active board I am filtering for specific epics and their progress across these 3 projects. 
 - i did that initially by simply filtering the board to those epics, but in this case i loose visibility of my main backlog
so now
- i removed my filter to the epics on the board level, and set up swimlane filters for these epics

but!
under the Everything Else, I literally have everything else from the 3 projects. This slows down the board a lot! And populates the board with issues that I do not wish to track in this board.

Any possible solution?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2019

You need to add a clause to the board filter to exclude the issues you do not want in the "everything else" lane. 

This will clear them off the backlog as well, as that is what a board is for - looking at everything included by the filter.  But as you've got filters for the three swimlanes you have, you can probably just connect them together with "or" to get your what you need  (filter 1) or (filter 2) or (filter 3)

Veronika June 6, 2019

thanks Nic, is there an easy way for me to exclude all tickets that are not linked to any epics within one Project?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 13, 2019

Incorporate this clause into your filters (either board or quick filters)

(project = XXX and "Epic link" is empty)

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2012

You are right, there is no option to remove it.

You might want to use filters to limit the number of issues that appear in addition to separating them using siwmlanes. Not quite a proper solution, I understand.

Suggest an answer