How to remove Epic from list of epics?

Amitabh Ghoshal January 23, 2018

What I'm looking for should be pretty straightforward; yet I cannot make it happen. My query:

type = Epic AND "Epic Link" != XXXXXX-XX

results in an empty list.

Variations I have tried are:

type = Epic AND "Epic Link" not in (XXXXXX-XX, YYYYYY-YY)

type = Epic AND component ~! XXX       . . . where XXX is a theme component I put in to exclude certain epics

Just in case someone is about to ask the obvious question - I do have epics. A search query 'type = Epic' does give a list of epics.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2018

The most straight-forward JQL for excluding an epic from the filter would be:

type = Epic AND key not in (<epic issue key>)

Where <epic issue key> could be, in example XYZ-258.

Note that you could easily exclude more than one epic by adding their issue keys separated by commas, ie:

type = Epic AND key not in (XYZ-258, JRASERVER-57, JSD-22)

So, there's no need to flag the Epics with a component for filtering them out, which would only be better if the epics you wanted to filter out already had that component in common, while no other epics you wanted the filter to still return belonged to that component.

Hope it helps.

Amitabh Ghoshal January 26, 2018

@Ignacio Pulgar - that is exactly the solution I was looking for - thanks you! That pulls me out of the rabbit hole of epic-link that I was stuck.

Elliot Jones January 11, 2021

Hello! this is removing ALL epics from my board now, even though I am following all the steps outlined above. Is anyone able to assist?

0 votes

I think I just solved it:

type = Epic AND (component is EMPTY OR component != XXX)

:-) 

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2018

You know your requirements better :)

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2018

You JQL query should be like this

type = Epic OR "Epic Link" not in (XXXXXX-XX, YYYYYY-YY)

Hi Alexey, that works, but results in a list of issues that are not in those specific epics. So that means that the "Epic Link" will not work as epics don't have an "Epic Link".

Based on your answer, I will update my question.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2018

Epic Link is a field which stores a reference to an Epic. This field can not be set for Epics. That is why your query will never return any result.

Suggest an answer