How to put a time band on tasks inside Epics.

Felipe Rodrigo P. P. de Lima July 12, 2021

Great day.
I've recently started using Jira Software, and my team needs to put time ranges that Epics use in scripts, in tasks within Epics as shown in the attached screenshot. We use Jira Software with a free plan, do I need to pay or have some other application? I found a screenshot of a person doing this, but this screenshot shows a new tab called "Plans", which doesn't appear to me.
Can someone help me with this please?
Thank you very much for your attention.Jira Software.pngJira Software 2.png

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2021

Hi @Felipe Rodrigo P. P. de Lima 

If you want to stay on the free plan then you can create a start and end date custom fields. Add those fields to your relevant screens. It won't behave like the Advanced Roadmap plan but atleast you will have the framework to plan your work using those date fields which you can also use in other reports.

Ravi

Hi @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ .

Thanks for the tip.
But even though I put the date, the time band doesn't appear in the script. Is there any way I can make this time band appear in the script? Maybe some app or something?

Jira Software 3.pngJira Software 4.png

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2021

Yes you need to use either Advanced Roadmaps or use an app like BigPicture or Structure or may be eazyBI.

Like # people like this
Roberts Čāčus
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2021

Hi @Felipe Rodrigo P. P. de Lima ,

I agree with @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_. To view the timeline for issues underneath the Epic or even build hierarchies above Epics, Advanced Roadmaps, or other paid apps are required.

I recommend signing up for a free trial for any of the apps suggested above and seeing if the timeline for issues underneath the Epic really makes that much of a difference.

From the eazyBI side, I can chip in two report examples from the eazyBI Demo account that could fit the requirement:

Gantt chart - https://eazybi.com/accounts/1000/cubes/Issues/reports/78204-issue-epic-gantt-chart

Bar chart as a Gannt - https://eazybi.com/accounts/1000/cubes/Issues/reports/99446-blocker-story-plan-bar-as-gantt

Best,

Roberts // support@eazybi.com

Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 15, 2021

Hi @Felipe Rodrigo P. P. de Lima 

Perhaps, as @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ suggested, it's worth to consider paid, advanced apps. 

It's good to review the Marketplace's offer using desired functionality as a keyword. So here you can find Top-rated Jira apps for the phrase Gantt.

One of the apps is my company's product - BigGantt (BigPicture) that not only automatically calculates epics' time band based on the children's duration but also supports planning, managing, and tracking projects. 

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jonas Ekström
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2021

The screenshots with the "Plan" tab is https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/roadmaps/advanced-roadmaps which is part of Jira Software Premium or Enterprise. 
Not sure if the date plan on task level is exclusively a part of that, or some of it is already available in the free and standard plans.

Many thanks for the reply.
But do you know if there is any way I can do something like that for free? I just want to be able to put that time band on tasks too.

Suggest an answer