How to prevent linking issues between company managed and team managed boards

LIS Guy March 15, 2024

Greetings,

is there a way to prevent the linking of issues from a team managed board to an issue in a company managed board and visa verse?

I like to do it, because we are using company managed projects for everyhting "official" in our PI Plannings and Sprints, but I want to give our users the option to use Jira Boards also for other topics of daily work life.

But What I don't want is that people stop working in the PI relevant boards, because it might be easier for them to just use the team managed boards (less rules, more flexibility on their own, own automations etc...).

So, is there a way to prevent it?

Global Automation?
Permissions?

Thanks in advance

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
LIS Guy March 17, 2024

I've found a solution.

It's probably not THE solution, but for now it's working.

It's a two part solution.

Part one: There is a custom field in the company managed projects input mask. This field is read only.

Part two is a also a global automation.

It compares the mentioned custom fields in the destination and issue with each other.

Since team managed projects don't have the custom field and company managed projects can't get rid of it, you can now only link issues with each other when either both HAVE the custom field or both HAVE NOT the custom field.

The just linked issue will be revoked (deleted) 1,2 seconds after it has been created.

Screenshot 2024-03-17 130830.png

This would all be so much easier, when I could read out the project type in Jira. For now I could not find a way to read it out or filter it (I mean the "company managed" or "team managed" category).

Thanks.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2024

You could call the REST API function to get the project, using the Send Web Request action, to determine that:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/REST-API-How-to-get-project-type-Next-Gen-or-Classic-from-quot/qaq-p/1444777

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2024

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

There is no way to prevent issues being linked to other issues.

But I do not understand the requirement.  What problem does linking two issues cause?

LIS Guy March 16, 2024

Thanks for the answer.

Thought I wrote pretty well, why I want to prevent issue linking between Team Managed Boards and Company Managed Boards and the other way round.

We are using Company Managed Boards as our base for Product Based Development and in our PIs we are making use of a planning over all the company managed projects. 

Since we have a very strict ruling for workflows, iterations and so on, we do not let people manage automations in these project.

Instead, we want to give the users the ability to have independent projects, where they can have the freedom to do their own workflows, automations and so on. This is all work, which is out of scope for the plannings...

So when someone would link an issue from a team managed project to a company managed project, this particular issue would be part of the planning roadmap.

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2024

Hi @LIS Guy 

Knowing what problem you are trying to solve (i.e., why do this) will help the community to offer better suggestions.  Until we know that...

The only way I know to prevent such linking is to not use any team-managed projects (TMP) by removing that permission from everyone except site admins.  Of course, if one of the admins has ever created a TMP, it is too late to address this (and the other problems resulting from TMP design choices).  https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/disable-team-managed-projects-in-jira-cloud-1115664013.html

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events