How to prevent an automation from running based on a linked issue

Andrew Walker June 15, 2021

Hi there fellow Atlassians, 

I am building an automation that triggers the creation of a child issue based on a field value selection when I change a issue status. Following the creation of the child issue, it is then linked to the parent issue. 

I want to implement logic to check if this child issue has already been created, then prevent the rule from running if that issue already exists. 

I think the way to do this is to use a if/else statement, look for an issue with a summary containing "relevant text", then, break (or otherwise stop) the automation. 

My present challenge is I can't seem to figure out how to "break" the loop. It seems it would be good to have a "do nothing" action to select for this case. 

Looking forward to any pointers for how to achieve this outcome of preventing duplicate child issues. Any recommendations on alternative ways to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, 

AW

1 answer

0 votes
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2021

Hi @Andrew Walker 

You can build what you described as follows:

• When issue transitioned,
  • Condition: Related Issue Condition

withthis condition, you can use a JQL to check or even see if a sun-task already exists for the said issue.

This is where I’ll start from.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events