How to organize the work of a large project in integration with several bitbucket repositories?

Александр June 17, 2021

I am junior developer and last week have been starting to learn Jira bitbucket. I have a big project, which I need to devide on several subproject (how I think +-: a subproject is an epic in Jira terminology).
For each subproject (epic) will be created either a document or programm code.
I need create more then one bitbucket's repository per Jira project.
How can I do it?

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 21, 2021

Hi @Александр and welcome to the community!

We provide an integration between Bitbucket Cloud and Jira Cloud.

This integration connects a Bitbucket Cloud workspace with a JIRA instance (the workspace is like a container that owns Bitbucket Cloud repositories).

Just to give you some info before I answer your question: when you do the integration, you'll be able to do things like:

• reference Jira issue keys in commit messages, and they'll become a link for the respective Jira issue
  • if you reference Jira issue keys in commit messages, these commits will show up in the respective issue in Jira
  • you can use smart commits to transition issues, comment on issues, and record time tracking information

You mentioned that you need to create more than one Bitbucket repository per Jira project.

It is possible to organize and group Bitbucket repositories in Projects.
Please note though that Bitbucket Projects are not linked/synced with Jira Projects (we have a feature request about this in our issue tracker: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-20401) 

You could create in Bitbucket a Project for each Jira project, possibly with the same name. When viewing a repo in Bitbucket, you'll be able to see the Bitbucket project the repo belongs to at the top of the page, see the screenshot below from one of my own repos:

Screenshot 2021-06-21 at 16.05.00.png

You'll also be able to view all repos in a specific Bitbucket project by navigating to the workspace's projects and then select the project you are interested in.

Since it is not possible to link Bitbucket projects to Jira projects, my suggestion would be to use for each Bitbucket project the same name as the respective Jira project, so you can recognize them more easily.

Some useful links:

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know!

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events