How to move epic from one project to another project

Marcin Szarek September 8, 2017

Hi,

Can you please tell me how to move epic from one project to another project?

Thanks in advance. 

2 answers

5 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2017

Hi Marcin,

simply use the move functionality as with every other Jira issue:

image.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2017

test <-- this to get me by the spam bug

ok so now for my real question...

@Thomas, , what happens if the epic has associated stories/tasks? Assume you have to move separately and re-associate?

Like korsuk likes this
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 8, 2017

they keep their associations. It's a little bit strange then - the Epic is in the new project, the associated story in the old one.

You have to move the story also. But moving a story moves their task also. 

(I can't add the 'at Jack Brickey'-tag  - invalid HTML...)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 8, 2017

thanks. makes sense so now we know...

yep same thing. 

Kim Pham December 18, 2018

Can you move an EPIC from one board (i.e., created in one board) to another board of the same project?  thank you

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 18, 2018

@Kim Pham, yes you just need to update your board templates such that it is removed from one board and appears on the other.

mchang January 8, 2021

For what it's worth, as of Jan 2021 I found that Jira Cloud will prompt you to include child stories when moving an epic from one project to another. See screenshot below.

driftjira.atlassian.net_secure_views_bulkedit_BulkMigrateDetails.jspa_singleIssueId=42588.png

The result is that the epic and child stories are migrated all into the new project with the parent-child relationships intact.

Like # people like this
Richard Bowen March 11, 2022

Is there a way to migrate closed epics from one board to another?

Like Josh Simnitt likes this
0 votes
Robin Chacko July 12, 2023

"Move" the whole Epic or a Bug or Story under other projects:

move1.jpg

Suggest an answer