How to move Jira + plugins to another server?

Pawel Szelag May 17, 2018

Hello! I need some support in moving Jira to second server. Currently Jira works on server with Windows 10. I have prepared server with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. There is all required software and Jira's installation process is almost finished. I have to only open browser and put required credentials. In this place I have few questions:

1. Won't it be the problem to put this same license to new server? Old with Windows will be disabled and formatted, so Jira software disappear there or maybe should I deactivate license on current Windows server?

2. Of course I need move database, each attachement and Jira's configs. I found some tutorials https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/backing-up-data-938847673.html and https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/migrating-jira-applications-to-another-server-802592269.html from your knowledge base which claim I need export database using build-in MySQL database tools or use Jira XML backup utility. Which one I should use in my case or maybe both?

3. What about moving additional plugins like Automated Log Work, Issue Reminders, SimpleWiki, Simple Tasklists, Timesheet Reports and Gadgets?

1 answer

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2018

Hello,

1. You do not need a new license

2. In my opinion, you should follow the second link.  

3. All plugins are in Jira home in the plugins/installed-plugins folder. Copy it to the same folder in the new Jira instance. But you can do it only if you migrate to the same Jira version, otherwise some of your plugins can be incompatible with the new version.

Pawel Szelag May 17, 2018

Thank you for answer. I have a problem with key. I logged in to my panel and there is "Jira Software Server 10 Users Starter License". When I try go "Next" after paste this license I have a message "The license you entered is valid for but not for Confluence." I have downloaded this same Jira Software which I installed on Windows machine...

On Windows I have (line from Jira admin panel) - "JIRA was successfully upgraded to version 7.5.0 on 22/Sep/17 at 3:49 PM. "

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2018

It is very unusual. You did migration for Jira Server to Jira Server right? Not Cloud?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2018

>I logged in to my panel and there is "Jira Software Server 10 Users Starter License". When I try go "Next" after paste this license I have a message "The license you entered is valid for but not for Confluence."

You're trying to install a Jira Software licence in a Confluence system.  That can't work.  You need to give Confluence a Confluence licence, not a Jira one.

Like Krzysztof Heller likes this

Suggest an answer