How to manage fix version for project which serve other projects ?

Ofira Daniel September 4, 2017

Hi friends , Need your help .

I will start to describe my problem - 

• I have Project A , Project B & Project C .
  • Project C is group which supply features to Project A & Project B .
  • Project C have bugs which related to Project A / Project B but under the domain of Project C 
  • fix version for each bug is always of Project A / Project B (Project C doesn`t have its own versions as it is actually part of Project A/B)

My current solution :

• All Projects open new issues (Story / Bug) under Project C but set Epic link to Epic in their project . In this way Epic received the real fix version .
  • All issues are opened to Project C BKL.
  • This enable Project C to decide what to take for next sprint and priortize its BKL from all products.

My problem -

• In order to work on bug , user must fill "Fix Version" field (meaning what is the target version of this bug).
  • In Jira fix version is taken from current project and therefore Project C can` see the fix version of Project A / B.

Is there option that Project will be "familar" with other projects fix versions ?

What can I do ? I am open for new solutions .

My main aim is to enable Project C to manage 1 sprint and ability to control its BKL .

Thanks in advance .

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 4, 2017

Ideally Project C would have it's own releases (fix version). Otherwise there are a couple of things I could suggest:

• Do away w/ Project C altogether and simply use a "Project_C" component in Project A and B. This is clean as the group that owns "Project_C" can run their own reports and plan their own backlog into Project A/B releases.
  • Have the lead of Project A & B add their fix version into Project C everytime they create one in their project. Use unique nomencalture to distinguish between A/B. For example: Project A = 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 while Project C = 1.0A, 1.1A, 1.2A

Good luck!

Suggest an answer