How to make time tracking mandatory

Tim July 28, 2020

I have found some topics about this but none seem te work for me. 

I want to achieve that developers have to update their time tracking (by clicking time tracking and entering a value in the "time spent" field.)

In the workflow and more specific for the transitions I find the validators where I can set that the field "time spent" should be updated by the user before being able to transition the issue (eg from doing to review). 

But when I set this up it blocks the transition even when time has been logged.

It is confusing because in Jira you have a field "Time tracking" which shows the total logged time with a progress bar.

But if you want to log time you can click on this and a modal opens. This modal shows 2 fields: time spent and time remaining. 

The time spent must be entered but after entering it, it is empty again (which is normal behaviour after submitting a value). The entered time is added to the "time tracking".

So I don't think I can validate on "time spent" because it is always empty but I should validate on "time tracking has been updated" or something like that. 

How can I achieve that developers must update the worked time (work log?) before making the transition? 

2020-07-28 16_55_38-Actieve projecten - Agile Board - Jira.png

4 answers

3 votes
Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2021

This can be achieved when you modify time spent exactly during transition:

1. Add a screen with 'Log Work' field to the transition.

2. Look at the time spent field - it must be modified.

Example validator:

The transition requires the following criteria to be valid

Field Time Spent should be modified during the transition.

Error message: Time must be logged!.

Paul Bennett April 8, 2021

Apologies Jakub - this is correct and does work

For the benefit of others as this in not the most intuitive  process, the confusion I found here is that with other fields you are able to set validators that act on the screen you are already on which trigger a small notification in the bottom right of the screen:

image.png

This is the approach I was trying with Time Tracking field - but this does not work - you get the warning notification as per the screenshot above but are never able to progress beyond this.

The solution Jakub put me on to is to:

• add a totally brand new screen (via the the Settings cog (top right of screen) => Issues => Screens => Add Screen)
  • add a Log Work field to this
  • go to the workflow editor, select the transition and set the screen there to the new screen you just created

image.png

Now when you transition the ticket you will see the entirely new screen and the validator will work on this.

image.png

Tim October 26, 2021

In the workflow I don't have the option to select a screen for a transition. I don't see the thing the red arrow above is pointing at.

update: never mind, you have to edit the transition first and then select a screen in the popup :-) 

0 votes
Serkan Emre ELÇİ August 21, 2023

Hi all, the thing is I want to make time logging mandatory for everyone assigned this ticket. For example : 

Step 1 : Dev A assigned the ticket 

Step 2 : Dev A done with the ticket and assigning this ticket to Dev B 

In that scenario, because Dev A logged some time spent, there is a value on sum of time spent now. So Dev B can just send ticket to Test team by updating the status of the ticket without any time logging. 

Do you have a solution suggestion for this ? 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 22, 2023

Hi @Serkan Emre ELÇİ , Welcome to the community.

If it were me, I would require separate sub tasks for each developer and their associated efforts. However, if that is not desirable for whatever reason you could consider transitioning the issue back to say To Do status ultimately requiring Dev2 to transition the issue forward whereby they would be required to log time.

0 votes
Max Golovin April 6, 2022

Hi all,

I had the same problem as above as I could not locate the "Time Spent" field in the list of fields.

It has now come to my attention that it is not just a dropdown but a multi-select form. If you start typing, you can select your field (see screenshot).

Good luck!

Screenshot 2022-04-06 at 19.02.06.png

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2020

What Validator are you using? Keep in mind that if you use “modified” then the user must actually change the field  during the transition. Simply having a value entered before the transition will not suffice.

Tim July 29, 2020

Hi Jack

the goal is that because a transition implies that work has been done on an issue, the user must log his work. This troughout the workflow (todo-doing-review-test-done)

If I only check on value entered, and this is done from doing to review, then there is no validation that the reviewer also logs his work (because there is already a value). But the review time must be logged as well. Therefore I wanted to use the modified validator.

Tim July 29, 2020

I want to use

Field has been modified Validator : Field value must be changed during the transition.

And then apply it to the correct field but I don't see a "time tracking" field. Only timespent and "sum" time spent and when I use them the transition is always blocked, even if time is logged right before the transition, so I don't know which is the name of the field I must validate.

Silvia Rodriguez February 24, 2021

Has this been resolved? I am running into a similar issue, not having 'Time Tracking' as the field to validate.

Tim February 25, 2021

No, not resolved unfortunately. I don't know if it is possible.

Mayuri Sathe March 31, 2021

Thanks for this thread! Actually I'm facing this problem as well. Actually its such a basic thing as such. 

Please help if there is a solution to this.

Paul Bennett April 7, 2021

I'm having this exact same issue - has anybody found a resolution?

Thanks

Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2021

Hi,

as Jack already wrote: "Keep in mind that if you use “modified” then the user must actually change the field during the transition. Simply having a value entered before the transition will not suffice."

If you modify the field during transition It becomes quite simple:

1. Add a screen with 'Log Work' field to the transition.

2. Look at the time spent field - it must be modified.

Example validator:

The transition requires the following criteria to be valid

Field Time Spent should be modified during the transition.

Error message: Time must be logged!.

Paul Bennett April 7, 2021

Thanks Jakub - this post is with particular reference to the built in Time Tracking field type - it looks like you are resolving this by using a new custom field you call 'Log Work'

With the Time Tracking field the transition validator doesn't work either with the required or modified validators

image.png

Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2021

Hi Paul, this is not a custom field.

This is a standard Jira field from the new issue view.

Like David Harkins likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events