How to make product backlog ONLY (not sprint backlog) visible to customers and for few project make it even public?

daniel-skowronski February 6, 2014

How to make product backlog ONLY (not sprint backlog) visible to customers and for few project make it even public?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 9, 2014

Hi Daniel,

What Product Backlog that is not the Sprint Backlog?

If you are talking about only showing the backlog without the sprint issues in the Plan mode, an idead would be to create a Filter with "and sprint = NULL" so the issues inside the Sprints are not shown on the Plan mode of the Board. Issues will still be accesible to users.

If you'd like to restrict users from seeing them entirely then I guess something with Issue Security has to be implemented. Maybe automatically changing the Issue Security Level when the issue is transitioned but adding the issues to a sprint won't trigger it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Mauro

daniel-skowronski February 9, 2014

What Product Backlog that is not the Sprint Backlog?

No both of them, only Product Backlog. In the case of Scrum as framework without software, Product Backlog and Sprint Backlog are two different things.

If you'd like to restrict users from seeing them entirely then I guess something with Issue Security has to be implemented. Maybe automatically changing the Issue Security Level when the issue is transitioned but adding the issues to a sprint won't trigger it.

The fundamental idea is to show customers (give them access) only Stories in Backlog from top to down with priorities and estimation, so it would be view for Product and Portfolio management for clients, without details of Tasks and Bugs inside sprints.

From your response I understand that there is no easy way to achieve this :/

Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 9, 2014

Alright, in Jira the Backlog in the Plan mode would be the Product Backlog so both of my ideas would in theory work. The second one though, having Issue Security changed to issues in the sprint, will restrict customers from seeing sprint issues being worked at.

It is not easy but you could Configure Issue-level Security that restrict customers to browse certain issues and just change the issue security level to that, when the issue is in the sprint.

:)

daniel-skowronski February 9, 2014

Alright, in Jira the Backlog in the Plan mode would be the Product Backlog so both of my ideas would in theory work. The second one though, having Issue Security changed to issues in the sprint, will restrict customers from seeing sprint issues being worked at.

Hmm, I will give it a try.

It is not easy but you could Configure Issue-level Security that restrict customers to browse certain issues and just change the issue security level to that, when the issue is in the sprint.

Thanks, but probably broken link, I am receiving error after redirect.

Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
February 10, 2014

The link works fine to me: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Configuring+Issue-level+Security

Try searching 'Jira Issue level security' on google if not and it will be in the first links.

Cheers

Suggest an answer