How to make Story Points field mandatory for the issues in an active sprint?

Farzad Panahi February 26, 2013

Is there a way to prevent adding issues to an active sprint when the Story Points field is empty?

Also to prevent start a sprint if there is an issue with empty Story Points.

8 answers

2 votes
Damon Clark July 8, 2019

I just enforced story points, at a different stage by adding a "condition" to the workflow transition (start work in figure below).  I know this is slightly different than your question, but thought I would share in hopes that someone might be helped by it.JiraForceStoryPoints1.png

Then click conditions in the options on the right, which will open a new tab.  Click "add condition" then add a "value field" condition, and configure as below in the resulting screen.

JiraForceStoryPoints2.png

This worked like a charm for me!

Chris Roerig October 25, 2019

Thanks, this helped

Raul Rupsingh January 22, 2020

I've used this solution as well, but one thing I find annoying is that when the condition is not valid the TRANSITION is not even shown - which makes developers confused as to what's going on. It would be better if this were done on the validation step so you could show the user an error message. Any idea how to do it in validation instead of conditions?

Like Kiryl Chalenka likes this
1 vote
Jesse Epstein March 12, 2013

You can setup a "Validation" on the Transition for the first workflow step in the workflow. The validation will be that "Story Points field is not EMPTY".

hope that helps.

Farzad Panahi March 12, 2013

I might be missing something but as far as I know Jira Workflows do not have Agile states. All the states are classic issue states like open, closed, in progress, etc. So basically I need a state like In-Active-Sprint to be able to accomplish what I want and to be able to add that validation before the transition to this state.

Is there a way to create custom states for Jira Workflows?

Maksim Luzik October 16, 2014

I have same problem here, any updates on this?

Andrew Chadwell April 22, 2020

Yes this works, now I'm looking to see how I can have an or condition for hours b/c we dont' care of teams use points or hours just that they are estimating.  Anyone have any good ideas.

whether a condition or validor I need it to be (Story points > zero or hours > zero) I think the answer to this in the SQL + JQL...

0 votes
Andy Griffiths February 28, 2019

I just posted roughly this question... any updates in the 6 years since this was posted?

Anuj B September 23, 2020

Nope!

Dexter T December 14, 2020

Wow.

0 votes
Piotr Zielinski May 25, 2016

Anyone managed to find some solution to this? Because making story points as mandatory while creation is not a good idea as we are estimating issues during Groomings. 

0 votes
vitaliy zapolskyy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2016

Q: Is there a way to prevent adding issues to an active sprint when the Story Points field is empty?

A: what if Board's filter has <<AND "Story Points" is not EMPTY>> clause?

Jędrzej_Kamiński March 6, 2018

If I'm not mistaken, the board filter is also used for the Backlog view, so making that change will indeed make it impossible to add new tickets to sprint, because they will all be gone. 

Like Wes John-Alder likes this
0 votes
Suresh Kumar October 29, 2014

Anyone have Idea on this topic

Maksim Luzik October 29, 2014

I am looking also for solution related to this. Have not yet found anything.

0 votes
Suresh Kumar October 23, 2014

Any idea to resolve this?

0 votes
V March 12, 2013

Also you can make the story points field mandatory. This is a workaround

Farzad Panahi March 12, 2013

I know but I don't neccessarily want to assign story points when the issue is in backlog. I just want to enforce it when it gets to the active sprint.

Suresh Kumar September 18, 2014

any updates for this scneario? I am currently running into this issue.

Deleted user June 9, 2020

You can't because it's a systems field. 

Suggest an answer