How to loop tasks

Виктория December 2, 2021

Hello, 
We`re trying to make our work with Jira as effective as possible, that is why we are interested in ways to repeat ans schedule some of the tasks so we don`t need to set them ourselves each time.
We`ve already tried to create a rule so tasks can repeat daily but we can`t implement such a rule to specific tasks.
Could you provide a list of actions we should do to make our work easier in this case?
Thank you in advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2021

Welcome to the Community!

You say "loop" here, but I am not 100% sure I understand what you are trying to achieve.  Could you tell is if

1. You want to create (and progress with, maybe completing) a new task every day?
  2. You want to have a permanently cycling task with a workflow something like new -> ready-for-today -> in-progress -> done-for-today -> ... and then going back to ready-for-today at say midnight automatically?
Виктория December 5, 2021

Hello, I want to schedule repeating tasks, so they appear daily/once a week/ once a month in my to do list and they will also have some timing, when they have to be done.
It would be the best option, but I still can`t find how to do it.
If you have any possible solutions, please share them with me.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2021

Ok, great, option 1 then :-)

Sorry for the delay in responding, I've had a busy couple of days, and I'm just catching up now.

You actually have quite a number of ways of doing that, there are apps that can help do it really nicely and make the setup of it quite simple, but you probably don't need them unless you've got a lot of this stuff to do.  I'd work through my first two options before looking for apps, you might find the second option does absolutely everything you need with a minimum of fuss.

• The oldest and most simple, use the remote API to create an issue when you need it.  I've never worked anywhere that doesn't have a server with something like "cron" on it, and so to create repeated regular tasks, I've always been able to write short scripts that send a "hey, Jira, create an issue" to its REST API (previously SOAP - showing my age there), with the cron rules determining exactly when. 
  • For more recent systems, I would look to Automation first.  Automations are made up of Triggers, Conditions and Actions.  Once of the available triggers is "at this time" (it's almost the same as "cron"), and one of the available actions is "create an issue"
  • Back to apps - you might not want to write remote scripts, or you might find Automation isn't flexible enough, or you realise that you're going to need 250 Automations, not 2, which isn't maintainable.  In this case, I very strongly recommend looking at the apps that can schedule things in a more flexible/friendly way.  Obviously, I'm going to tell you that I've had a lot of success with Scriptrunner, as I work for Adaptavist, and hence have direct access to people who are way better at writing scripts for this sort of thing than I ever will be.  But I'd also suggest a look at The Scheduler - before I got on-tap SR experts, that was my go-to.
Like # people like this
Виктория December 8, 2021

Thank you for the reply and some advice! We`ll try to implement them and hope it will work!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events