How to link defect to story in greenhopper, just as link story to epic?

Ruier He August 1, 2012

In greenhopper, every story card has a field named as epic, which is a dropdownbox and used to establish the link between story and epic.

Usually, each story may have several defects. Can I define a custom filed in defect issue type to capature such a link? what's the type of the filed?

Thanks a lot!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2012

I'm not sure why you would want to do this, issue links are much more powerful than trying to use a custom field.

You can go ahead and create another custom field like Epic if you wish, if you look at the configuration it's just a field of type label, but no part of JIRA or GreenHopper will enforce that the labels in it are valid issue ids.

Cheers,
Shaun

Ruier He August 2, 2012

My team will transfer from mingle to greenhopper. I hope the use of greenhopper close to their past habbit. In mingle, each defect have an attribute to describe which story this defect belongs to. And then, in view of story, all defects will be shown.

So if I hope to attain this effect, what can I do ? If I define a custom field named Story which type is label, and apply the filed into defect issue type, can it load all the story automatically?

Thanks.

Ruier

sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2012

If you use an issue link then the story will show all the defects that were created from it (and the defects will have a link to their story).

Ruier He August 2, 2012

Hi, I have tried your method. It really solve my problem perfectly.

Thanks a lot.

Ruier

0 votes
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 2, 2012

You could try creating sub-tasks of the parent stories for the defect.

Cheers,
Shaun

Ruier He August 2, 2012

Thanks, but it is not what I wanted. Each story may have several sub-tasks and bugs. why not use custom filed to solve this problem just as story use epic field?

0 votes
Deepak Indoliya August 1, 2012

One option for you is to use the LINK feature in JIRA. You can create a link type called "Belongs to Story" and ask the QA team to use this to link the bugs to the Story.

Ruier He August 2, 2012

Is there any other method to link the bugs to the story, besides LINK feature?

Suggest an answer