How to limit Epic to a dedicated project?

Kruno Klaric October 29, 2013

I want to limit epics to a dedicated project. So, for example .. When assigning issues I don't want to see epics my colleague made in another project.

17 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted

Peter,

Thanks for your time and patience. I'll add issues from scrum board.

Best,

Kruno

Mattias Hallqvist November 13, 2013

From where are you creating issues?

I'm typically creating them from agile board (using 'c' short cut) but I see epics from all projects in epic link list. Would love to see a solution for this.

Michel Russell November 7, 2018

any update on this?

Like Inti likes this

I have got the same question and found two ways, but actually they're not satisfying enough. 

1. One should mark their epic as done and include done epics when he wants to add an epic link.

2. If you aren't permitted to view issues on a project, you aren't able to see the epics from this project too. But if you need search or viewing rights on the other porject, this solution is senseless. 

12 votes
Jeremy Wise April 14, 2014

This doesn't make any sense from a usability standpoint. If I'm creating a story in a project, why would epics from other projects EVER be valid options? We've created several stories now, picked the wrong epic for "Epic Link", and then we have no idea where our story went.

Meanwhile, some other project team winds up with a new, random story in their project and no idea why it's there.

If I'm creating a case for a known Project (which I am as the Project field is provided at the top of the dialog), I should only be able to pick an Epic Link from the epics on that project. This seems like basic UX to me.

Atlassian, if you are not going to fix this bug, can you at least provide a use case in which you would create a story in one project but assign it to an epic in a different project?

6 votes
richie_gee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 8, 2014

Just to share this information for any other person that directed by Google on this:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-34243

There is an improvement ticket on this to restrict the epic link from showing other projects, do vote on it if you find it relevant as this affects the implementation of the request.

Anthony Lassiter August 19, 2015

Agree on this. If you are asking this question and you haven't voted for the fix, please click the link above and vote. Thanks!

Sivarama Krishna
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2020

Ticket closed in JIRA (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-34243) stating the issue is resolved. But I am using JIRA Server 8.5.2. Bug still exists in latest version.

Like # people like this
Inti February 3, 2020

In Jira Web the issue is also reproducible

Like # people like this
3 votes
flamaniac October 2, 2019

When creating new Story i see epics from other projects in "epic link" dropdown. THIS IS A BUG AND STIL PRESENT.

1 vote
Kevin Josling July 10, 2020

Wow. People have been asking for this for 7 years!

ManuelMager December 16, 2020

Welcome to Atlassian ;)

1 vote
Stefan Deinert October 30, 2015

Hi all,

This issue is one and a half years old and Atlassian did not yet even respond to this, but classified this BUG as a suggestion:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-12016

Hey come on Atlassian.... this is a joke! Please fix this!

1 vote
Mattias Hallqvist April 22, 2014

I'd like to add that this global handling of epics also causes problems when importing issues from csv. Epic linkage fails if imported issues links to an epic (by name) existing in more than one project.

1 vote
vdastpak February 24, 2014

This looks like a bug to me. We have several independent projects and teams are starting to create epics for each project. Currently the drop down list for the Epic Link shows about a dozen epics from different projects. I anticipate this to grow to 100's in a few months, which will make it pretty hard to pick the right epic.

Thanks,

Vahid

0 votes
Sivarama Krishna
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2020

Selecting EPIC from drop down is intentionally kept open to select from any Project.

There are many discussions and service tickets pending with Atlassian Forum.

The feature is not yet considered to fix or develop.

As a JIRA Administrator, I suggested the following to my team.

Based on the following steps, we are able to maintain issues and epic in same project.

• While creating Issues, remove EPIC Link option for all issues. Allow EPIC link to be editable
  • Create Agile Board with only one project
  • Open Project & Select Agile Board mapped to the single project
  • Now expand EPIC and drag and drop issues to the specific EPIC

By using the above steps, we are able to achieve EPIC from same project.

0 votes
Jay Kantaria April 5, 2020

I would love have this fixed for once!!!

We are on Data center Jira 7.13.5

Currently All Epics from all projects available in EPIC Link field.... getting crowded and many Epics are similarly worded so users are getting them wrong.  

Second issue -- Even though checkbox is not checked, we are seeing all open and closed epics int he list.  Currently we are seeing 4000 epics including closed epics. User has to select pics to realize that it is a closed epics.

Brad Lackey June 10, 2020

Regarding your 2nd issue, note that there are 2 status fields related to epics -- 1 being the same as all other tickets, and the other is call Epic Status (which doesn't show in epic tickets by default...at least ours doesn't). I believe the Epic Status field needs to be marked as Done for them to not show up when the box is not checked. I built a rule in our workflow that whenever the Status of an epic is set to Done, the Epic Status is automatically updated to Done as well.

Clearly doesn't resolve this long-standing issue, but it's helpful at least.

Like Nicolas Karlinski likes this
Nicolas Karlinski June 16, 2020

@Brad Lackey - What is the "checkbox" you are referring to ? I set my epic status to "Done" when required, but I can still see them in the EpicLink dropdown... 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Brad Lackey June 16, 2020

@Nicolas Karlinski in the Epic Link dropdown field in a story ticket, there is a checkbox at the top right called Show Done Epics. If the Status field is set to Done, but the Epic Status field is not, the epic will still show in this dropdown. But if the Epic Status field is also set to Done, it will not show in this dropdown unless that checkbox is checked (which I've notice it stay checked in the past and I had to uncheck it...not sure why). Hope this helps!

Like Nicolas Karlinski likes this
Nicolas Karlinski June 16, 2020

Thanks @Brad Lackey - I found the checkbox (and it works as designed, even if I do not like the design) -  I was getting to the list via the edit screen of the "new Jira" and the GUI is different/broken. 

I found a way around - transition screen - I reported the behavior I have as a bug

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 15.45.27.png

Like Brad Lackey likes this
0 votes
Len Quam April 2, 2020

For now, to not drive me and my team crazy, I've removed the Epic Link field from all issue screens so that Epics can only be set by drag-and-drop on a scrum board. This is NOT an acceptable solution and, honestly, a dangerous bug for users.

0 votes
juan pablo nicoloff March 31, 2020

Come on Atlassian, could you please fix this issues. Seems to be not so dificult and will bring much clarity in the daily use of JIRA.

My company is paying a lot for this tool and its support and we woluld like to have it solved. 

Thanks very mcuh!!!! 

0 votes
Inti December 4, 2019

Still present...

0 votes
Mattias Hallqvist January 12, 2014

This is not solved for me, as stated in my comment below.

I'm at a project's board (filtering only that project). I open up create issue dialoge (clicking button or 'c'). If I search for Epics in "Epic Link" field I see Epics from all our projects.
I want to see epics from current project only.

Please help.
Mattias

0 votes

Yes.

And still when I go on Issues > create issue > epic link I see epics from other projects.

Best,

Kruno

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2013

Hi Kruno,

It seems to me that the options you have in the epic link are only controlled by your permissions in Jira and will show all epics from all the projects to which you have rights. I don't know if you can change this behaviour.

You could try to create your issues from your scrum board, which will only show the epics that are associated with this board.

Best regards,

Peter

Like 김재형 likes this
bonzaicreativesolutions-admin NA January 23, 2015

Yes, I have the same issue. I hope Epic views are restricted by project permissions.

bonzaicreativesolutions-admin NA January 23, 2015

Actually Epic views aren't even restricted by project permission, all Epics are viewable by all users across all projects. Sucks.

0 votes

Hi Peter,

Thanks for a quick response.

I have two separate boards for two projects but when creating new issue I still can see epics from both projects :(

Best,

Kruno

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2013

Hi Kruno,

Did you check the filters of your boards, do they explicitly only contain one project?

Best regards,

Peter

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2013

Hi Kruno,

As explained here : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Working+with+Epics epics are only cross project when the board they are on has several projects in it's filter.

So if you made a seperate board for each project you shouldn't see the other epics anymore.

Best regards,

Peter

Leslie PEttibone May 12, 2016

Has anyone fourteen this to work? 

Andrew Charlton November 28, 2016

Nope same here, 

I get all Epics in the drop down... which as there are 20 teams and 2+ years worth of Project is quite a lot...

Suggest an answer