How to identify tickets that are carry forward from one sprint to another?

Krithica G June 9, 2021

How to identify tickets that are carry forward from one sprint to another?

How to filter tickets that are carry forwarded from previous sprint to current sprint?

Is there option like sprint in (opensprints()-1)?

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2021

Try adding to your jql …

Sprint in closedSprints() and sprint in openSprints()

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2021

Bringing the discussion back to this thread….

so (AFAIK) you cannot find issues in current open sprint that were specifically in the previous sprint using JQL unless you include the specific sprint name. I think you want something that is dynamic? In other words this would work…

sprint in openSprints() And sprint in xxxx

where xxx equates to opensprint -1

note- I tried the following (in cloud) as a test and it did not produce the desired results

Sprint in openSprints(-1) and sprint in openSprints()

Krithica G June 14, 2021

Thank you. sprint in openSprints() And sprint in xxxx with hardcoding sprint value is working. Is there a dynamic way to set sprint value to last closed sprint?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 14, 2021

None that I have seen

0 votes
Krithica G June 11, 2021

Hi , please help how to find the carry forward tickets from immediate previous sprint?

Krithica G June 14, 2021

Hi , please help how to find the carry forward tickets from immediate previous sprint?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 14, 2021

? Did my suggestion not provide desired results? If not please reply in my response as to the results.

Krithica G June 14, 2021

Hi Jack,

Thank you. Closedsprints() displays all the issues from all previous sprints. Also opensprints() displays all the issues that are created in current sprint as well.

I want to extract the only issues that are carry forward from last sprint to current sprint and nothing else. Can we get this in jql ? Please help.

Sivan Pachai
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 11, 2024

"sprint = "Currentsprint" and sprint in closedSprints()", this is the JIRA query which will show all the tickets in the current sprints which are carried over from any closed sprints

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 11, 2024

@Sivan Pachai , to be clear "Currentsprint" is not JQL nomenclature so I believe you mean to say that you need to replace this with the name of the specific sprint name or you can use "opensprints()" if it is active. I just want to be clear for future answer seekers.

@Krithica G , I totally missed following up on your question and suspect your needs may have passed after all these years. However if not or for others here is my response.

if you want to determine the issues carried over from the previous sprint to the current sprint then you need to create a specific query that specifies the previous sprint name. There isn't a concept 'previous sprint' in JQL. So for example you would need to create a JQL like... sprint in ("my sprint 1") and sprint in opensprints(), replacing "my sprint 1" with the previous sprint name.

Now, if you want to find all issues carried over from any previous sprint into the current active sprint then use - sprint in closedsprints() and sprint in opensprints()

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2021

Are you trying to identify carried forward issues only from the immediate previous sprint, or from any previous sprint?

Krithica G June 10, 2021

yes only from immediate previous sprint.

Deleted user February 14, 2022

@Krithica G : There is one field called "sprint" you can add that field in your issue layout. You will get to know from which sprint that issue is getting carried forward. Please let me know if that works for you. 

Capture.PNG

Suggest an answer