How to find Jira Issues Created by Trello Automation

Gray Webb December 19, 2021

I have setup Trello Automation to create a Jira Issue based on some criteria. I want a simple Jira Issue Filter to show on my Jira Dashboard all Jira Issues that have been created by Trello.

2 answers

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2021

Hi @Gray Webb 

Yes, and...to Andy's ideas:

If the powerup is consistently adding a label in that format, you could find those labels using an automation rule...which could then add something that you can query upon.

For example, let's assume you are only adding issues to one project in Jira from Trello.  Then in that project, add an automation rule such as:

• trigger: issue created
  • action: re-fetch (to slow down the rule and help ensure the data is all present)
  • advanced compare condition: 
    • first value: {{issue.labels.match("(trello:.*)")}}
    • condition: does not equal 
    • second value: empty
  • action: do something which you can search on with JQL...such as adding a known Label value like "TrelloAdded"

Now you can create a JQL statement to find the issues and use that in a dashboard gadget.

If you want to try this work-around here are some sources and examples with automation to get you started:

Kind regards,
Bill

1 vote
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 28, 2021

Hi Gray,

This is a difficult one to answer.  It seems like it should be simple to determine this from within Jira, but it's actually fairly complex.  The Jira Powerup in Trello is creating the issues in Jira just like any other issue created via the web UI or the REST API, so unfortunately, we cannot simply try a JQL search based on the creator since these are the same credentials that a normal user to use to create issues in Jira directly.

I noticed in my own test setup that Trello is adding a label to these Jira issues, such as trello:123456789abcdec which looked to be promising to search on.  However Jira does not have the ability to use a wildcard search within the labels field natively.  This means that while each issue in Jira created from this method does have a flag of sorts, there isn't a clear way to search for these via JQL, which is really needed to create a filter for a dashboard/report.

There is an existing request for this ability over in JRACLOUD-23038 which if implemented would give you a working solution here.  There is also the possibility that you could use an add-on to Jira to be able to make this search.  The comments of that JRACLOUD ticket have a few different marketplace vendors there explaining how their solution could help.  Perhaps one of these could provide a solution for this problem today.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events