How to export using Jira Google Sheet plugin, after JQL results have been loaded?

Edwin Meijer January 29, 2021

I am using the Jira plugin for Google sheets and the JIRA() function to run a JQL query that populates cells in the sheet.

If you change a cell, or a field you reference, the cells will (re-)execute the JIRA() function. While running you will see in the cell the message "Loading" until the JQL query has completed and results are shown.

So far so good.

When you want to export the Google sheet (e.g. to CSV, or PDF), it again executes the JIRA() function(s), and in the resulting CSV or PDF file you will see the value "Loading"  in the cells, instead of the JQL results.... i.e. the export is not waiting until the JIRA() functions have completed processing.

Q: Is there a way to avoid the JIRA() function from running when you export? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2021

How many rows are you importing into Google Sheets? In my very small test of < 20 rows, I don't see the "Loading" thing at all when I do an Export.

But I'm guessing you have more than 20 issues. So I found a possible workaround to your issue, based on this article I found:

Also making the document available offline via the menu toggle could resolve the formulars.

I kind of think that might work for you because it would probably disable the function from trying to connect to Jira, and only export the "local" data.

Please let us know if that helps!

Edwin Meijer January 31, 2021

Enabling the sheet offline (see below) before downloading did the trick for me;

thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 10.13.12 PM.png

Like Darryl Lee likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS