How to expedite bugs through PM process

Philip Winston June 18, 2013

In the scheme described here:

http://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/04/how-to-manage-a-product-backlog-with-ease/

It sounds great for culling feedback down to actionable items. But what about important bugs filed by QA or developers -- seems likely they shouldn't start out as Raw and need to be shuttled through all 4 stages before appearing in sprint planning. That is, if a new feature has a crash, and I'm entering the bug for that crash, how do I expedite it so it will be included in the next sprint (or sooner). Is the person entering the bug allowed to set the status or how best to handle that?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2013

Well, you could have a transition that allows users to quickly transition issues into the appropriate status. You can also have a swimlane (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Configuring+Swimlanes) that marks out important issues.

Philip Winston June 19, 2013

I realize also just a filter on type Bug is nice, because then everything stays in it swimlane but bugs are highlighted. Also I think you just do want someone else to expedite the bug besides the creator, you don't necessary want anything filing bugs directly to the front of the line, so long as bugs that should be there are expedited quickly enough.

0 votes
Philip Winston June 21, 2013

Does anyone have a whole different workflow for bugs as an issue type? Like maybe new features go through all these stages, but bug to straight to front of the line?

0 votes
Jon Abad June 19, 2013

When we encounter this situation for a bug that blocks a story or the daily smoke test, we add a Blocker label which we keep an eye out for during our normal daily Triage sessions.

These items are also @mentioned to the QA manager or verbally escalated to make sure that they get a jump on as needed.

Suggest an answer