How to edit subtask rank

Jessica Riga April 23, 2015

We have subtasks that need to be executed in a very particular order. The subtasks have been ordered correctly when looking at the parent issue, by using the up and down arrows. This does not seem to actually update their ranking though. 

When looking at the rapidboard view, the subtasks are not in the priority order they were put in under the parent issue. The board is ranking by rank. If I go back to the parent issue and use the gear to "rank to top" or "rank to bottom" then the order is updated on the rapidboard but not in the order on the parent issue, which is really confusing. 

There are 28 subtasks for the parent I am dealing with right now. Hopefully there is another way to get the ranking to reflect the order of execution without having to only use "rank to top" or "rank to bottom." Anyone know of a way to edit the ranking of subtasks and get the views in both places to match? 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2015

I believe that the two are disconnected from one another. You would have to manually rank them twice. Additionally, using each ranking UI individually will be the way to do this easiest. Meaning that you would first go in and rank them all in the Parent Issue view. And then rank all of the sub tasks again on the board. I know it is not a great answer, but the two were not intended to work together like you are describing. This may warrant a suggestion on our public issue tracker: https://jira.atlassian.com/

Thanks for the responses. 

Boris I will make a suggestion. Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the ordering on the Parent Issue view if it doesn't correlate to rank? Is it just cosmetic or does it have some other function that I could leverage? 

RodrigoI am unable to access JAGDEV-944 but appreciate you trying to provide visbility into other improvement requests 

Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2015

Well if you use JIRA without Agile, then it allows you to control the order of the subtasks. But I understand how you would expect the two to be tied together when Agile is present. However, I don't think this is as trivial as it sounds. Let me present this scenario: Agile rank and parent view (Story 2 is not there in parent view) is: Story 1 Story 1 -Task 1 Story 2 Story 1 - Task 2 Story 1 - Task 3 You go into parent view and rank Task 3 in between Task 1 and Task 2. On Agile, should it be above or below Story 2?

I see the problem you present, and it took me a few minutes to think through. I would expect the subtask ranking in the parent view to be maintained in relationship to eachother. However another issue could be ranked between them without disrupting this. So Task 2 and Task 3 would swap places in Agile. Basically the way updating ranking works when filtering by Epic on a backlog. You can update the relative order in just that epic. Then when you clear the filter the order of other issues has not changed.

Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2015

I would include that in your suggestion. These are the kinds of questions our engineering and PM teams have to consider when looking at this kind of change.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2015

Jessica added her improvement here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-43041

0 votes
Rodrigo Silva
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 23, 2015

Hey Jessica, Hi Boris, 

I found these two improvement request that might be useful, since that the particular feature seeking by Jessica does not exists on Cloud Platform:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JAGDEV-944

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-6923

I hope it helps with something.

Cheers,

Rodrigo Silva

Suggest an answer