How to duplicate, copy an epic (with all the stories and task included) ?

Frédéric BISCAY September 5, 2018

Hi, 

On JIRA software Cloud 

I want to prepare à Epic template filled with US to be duplicate and done regularly 

How to duplicate /copy an epic (with all the stories and task included) ? 

Can someone help me to do that easily

I see several module for the server version on the marketplace but nothing for cloud 

Thank you in advance 

Fred

9 answers

9 votes
Julien Peyrade @ Elements
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 21, 2023

Hello, 

Currently, within Jira, their is no native way to clone an Epic while including its stories and subtasks, thus cloning the whole "Epic tree".

To do this, I would recommend our app, Elements Copy & Sync which can help you do exactly this.

Epics can be cloned in one click, including all the issues within it (and their own subtasks). Even better, you can keep you Epics synchronized if you need to, it's completely optional.

This cloning can be done in many ways, manually or with a post-function or Automation.

The app is free for 30 days, (and stays free if your instance is under 10 users), so feel free to give it a try, and don't hesitate to tell reach our Support if you have any question.

Kind regards,

Julien

Guz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2023

Hi Julien, this is partially correct.

You can clone an epic within its own subtasks. But this subtask must have been created directly under the Epic.

Like # people like this
Anna Nguyen October 19, 2023

Hey Guz, could you tell me how to clone the epic within its own subtasks? Thank you

MrAnderson November 7, 2023

Hei. Does this include checklists under stories under an Epic?

Thx

4 votes
Jennifer Choban
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 1, 2022

Hi Everyone,

I'm with HeroCoders, makers of Clone Epic Template. I wanted to let you know that the app is being discontinued as of August 4th, 2022. We are recommending Deep Clone. They have graciously offered to provide discounts for Clone Epic Template customers.

Thanks.

2 votes
Dave Nicholson June 2, 2023

You can create a manually triggered Automation Rule to do this in Jira - 

Branch rule for all issues in Epic - clone and update summary to be something like "Clone - {{triggerIssue.summary}}"

Clone Epic to new Epic, linking to trigger issue

Branch rule for all issues in epic

* if summary starts with "Clone -"

** Update Epic Link to {{createdIssue.key}}

** Update Summary to remove prefix

Beatrice Glienke September 14, 2023

Hi Dave,
that's a great idea. Thanks!

Like Dave Nicholson likes this
czehnder October 2, 2023

Hi

Will this also create the subtasks of stories as well? Or do i need to create another branch?

Thanks

1 vote
Syed Majid Hassan -Exalate-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2023

Hi,

This is Majid @ Exalate. 

As already explained by several folks here, you would need an app to achieve this. The choice of app would be governed by your particular requirements, but here at Exalate we believe that any integration solution must be fully secure, reliable and robust. You can achieve your Epic copy use case with or without clicking a button using Exalate - just as simple as that really! You can even do this between projects on same Jira, or between projects on two independent instances. 

Please let me know if you would like to explore this further and I would be happy to assist. 

Thanks

Majid

1 vote
Amir Katz (Outseer)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2021

Following up on @Piotr Stefaniak [HeroCoders] response, the epic copy functionality was spun off to a new add-on.

This is from the 'Epic Maps for Jira' page:

A previously available feature – cloning an Epic along with its stories, sub-tasks, and checklists has been deprecated and moved to Clone Epic for Jira.

0 votes
adrienne_cooley April 12, 2023

Here is the newer link to vote on for this functionality: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-76928 

0 votes
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
October 14, 2019

Hi @Jose Machado

It's also possible to clone an Epic and all it's issues and Subtasks with our cloud app Deep Clone for Jira.

DeepCloneForJiraEpicCloneBulkCloneCodefortynine.png

Don't hesitate to get in touch with us at support@codefortynine.com if you have questions or feedback.

0 votes
Jack Hunter _HeroCoders_
Marketplace Partner
March 4, 2019

Epics Map allows cloning an epic with all its children tasks in Jira Cloud

It is a free app that my team released recently. 

clone-epic-issue-page.png

Jose Machado October 13, 2019

Thanks,

This does not seem to work. It just creates a link to the original template...

Like Rafał Koszyk likes this
Jack Hunter _HeroCoders_
Marketplace Partner
October 15, 2019

@Jose Machado, it should clone/duplicate entire Epic tree. Please reach the support at support@herocoders.com if it doesn't. They will be able to help.

Cheers,
Jack

Heather Rainey January 17, 2020

@Jack Hunter _HeroCoders_ Is it possible to maintain rank order of the issues when cloning? When I clone, the task order is not maintained

Piotr Stefaniak [HeroCoders] January 17, 2020

Hi @Heather Rainey ,

I've responded to you via our support service desk. I hope my reply has reached you, if no - please double check your SPAM folder or ping me here directly.

Regards,
Piotr from HeroCoders

Beth Taylor February 28, 2021

This is a life saver - and it's FREE.  Thanks!

Sebastien July 6, 2021

Hi @Piotr Stefaniak [HeroCoders] 

I have the same issue (maintaining rank order of the issues when cloning) as Heather, would you please share with me your answer?

Thanks.

Piotr Stefaniak [HeroCoders] July 6, 2021

Hello @Sebastien ,

There was no sensible answer actually - we've had to patch our application to respect the subtasks order provided by Jira. Currently that Should Work™ for everyone, including you.

Can you contact our support via https://herocoders.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/4/group/4/create/22 and describe your case with more details there? One of our support engineers would help you sort this out.

Regards,
Piotr 

Sebastien July 6, 2021

Thank you @Piotr Stefaniak [HeroCoders] for your quick answer.

0 votes
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2018
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2018

ugh...another duplicate and this makes three :-( 

Suggest an answer