How to duplicate a board in Jira Cloud software?

Thinline November 16, 2020

Hi,

we have different projects going on and want to manage each of them with the same workflow/board.

We lose a lot of time creating the same board over and over again for each new project. Can't seem to find how to duplicate a board. (or defining it as a template). Duplicating a project would also solve the problem, but can't seem to find this either.

Am I not looking hard enough?

3 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2020

Hi @Thinline   - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Click in the search box in the top navigation bar. When that opens up, you will see Boards listed in the bottom of the popup window (along with Issues, Projects, and other stuff).

Click on Boards which will take you to a list of all boards. 

Search for your board, then click the 3 dots menu on the right and select Copy. 

Thinline November 17, 2020

Hi @John Funk 

can't see any 3 dots with "copy" functionality...

Schermafbeelding 2020-11-17 om 15.20.30.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2020

Ah, it's a Next-gen board. No, unfortunately, you cannot copy Next-gen boards.

You can create a new board that uses the Next-gen project, however. 

See if  this tutorial helps you to do that:

https://www.atlassian.com/agile/tutorials/creating-your-agile-board

That's a pity!

We would like to have each project the same workflow as a board. (our internal work proces) Now we add a new project en start adding al steps of our board, which is a repetitive task.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2020

You might consider creating Classic Software projects instead of Next-gen then. You can share schemes and custom fields across those projects and create new ones based on existing ones (copy more or less).

I think you're right @John Funk 

But don't know why this isn't there in the next-gen projects. If Jira wants to innovate, it's a bit strange they take a step back in such useful possibilities.

Thanks for your clarification!

Like John Funk likes this
Kristine Gemici May 24, 2022

@John Funk Hello!!! I am trying to clone a project with a project board but for some reason when I try to do this with Deep Clone it will only clone the project and not the board... Whenever I do try to copy a board and then tie it with that copied project, I get the error below in the roadmap section of the board... Is there a simple way to just copy the exact project settings and the board and give it a new name for both the board and project?

error.jpg

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2022

Hi Kristine,

No, you won't be able to copy the board using Deep Clone. I have not seen that error message before. So you copied the board, and then you changed the filter out to use a filter for the new project? If not, you should do that first. 

What type of projects are the original and the new one?  

Like Kristine Gemici likes this

Hello John and thanks for the quick response! I first created a template project with the appropriate settings... Then I created a new project while copying the settings from that template as a "company-managed" project . Then I went into the View all boards area and copied my template board and renamed it. I then went into that board and tied it to my new project. This is the error I received.....

Is there a better way of doing this?

Here is a screenshot of what I am showing: 

board.jpg

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2022

So, is the original project a Business project? It will say under the name of the project in the top left.

Also, while on this second board - can you go into the Roadmap to see if there is anything there?

Yes, the original is a "company-managed" project...  For the roadmap, I get the same error unfortunately.... 

Do you happen to know where I can find a step by step guide on how to copy a board to a cloned project? Or did I follow the right steps but maybe something is wrong with my settings somewhere?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2022

Okay, so I just tested this out by cloning a Company-managed project.

Then I copied the board just by the first project

Then I click on the Edit Filter Query and changed the filter to use the new cloned project. I save that and then substituted the old filter with the new filter. 

Everything worked fine. 

I then changed the Location to use the new project ID and that worked fine. 

I did not have a Roadmap on either board. 

Thanks John!!! How did you change the filter? There must be something in that step that I do not fully understand...

I followed the steps about but I am getting stuck at the filter part I think ... Please see the screenshot below to explain where I am at... What should I enter for the filter?

filterissue.jpg

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2022

Click on the Edit Filter Query link

Change the filter to use the new cloned project.

Save that and share it if need be.

Then go back to the board.

You have to click on the actual filter name of the old one - that will put you in a search mode to look for the one you just created.

Select it and it should be good

I see!! Okay! I think it finally worked but I had to create a filter for that unique project.. In that case I would need to create a filter for each project everytime I create a new project correct? We currently have 100+ projects :( If there is any better way to clone the project along with the board please let me know. I was informed that an APP called "Delegated Project Creator" may be able to help with this but I still haven't been able to figure out how to clone from the template once it is created. 

Thanks so much for the help with this! That will at least give me a place to start! 

Kind Regards,

Kristine 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2022

Correct - you need a new filter for each new project. 

If you don't have issues or them - or do not need the issues cloned to the new project, I would just create the new project based on one of the existing projects. That will indeed create the project, all of the schemes and the board, too!

Thank you! That helps me to find a workaround for this. Greatly appreciate your help !!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2022

Great! I hope it works out for you.  

Like # people like this
0 votes
Answer accepted

The answer: You can't copy Next-gen boards (nov. 2020)

0 votes
Cemal November 16, 2020

Hi Thinline,

you can go to your board. on the right top is a Dropdownlist wich is named Board. Wen you click on it you can choose "Copy" 

Hi Cemal,

Don't have those... The dropdown list is for grouping. The 3 dots only say "Manage workflow", which brings me to the editor.

Schermafbeelding 2020-11-17 om 10.00.50.png

Cemal November 18, 2020

Okay, than try this option:

write / than a list will display.  On the end of this is a line which say got to: Here you choose Boards. 

Wenn you have chose it, you will come to a page where you can see all Boards. Than you have to click on the right site at te three dots. Than you should have the option Copy

Update: here you can read it.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/create-a-board/

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events