How to create to group issues by sprint in structure?

Natalia Soikko November 5, 2018

Hi,

I have created a structure to view one team tasks. I have added group by sprint to the structure, but the view now is very confusing. What i want to see is all issues that were in sprint1 under sprint 1; all issues that were in sprint 2 under sprint 2. BUT in case an issue belongs to several sprints (e.g. sprint 1 and sprint 2) i will see "sprint1, sprint2" group.

I guess i need to use something else then Sprint field for grouping. Because right now grouping done by sprint filed, not by actual sprint.

Can someone advice what field need to be used? and how?

Br, Natalia

1 answer

1 vote
Vlad Lessage
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2018

Hi Natalia,

Thanks for posting.

You are on the right track, just missing one piece. In order to get the desired results, you can go about this 2 different ways:

A. 
1. Apply the Group by Sprint Generator to your current structure
2. Apply Transformation: Filter by Sprint - Hide Closed Sprints ( you must filter on "current level")

B. 
1. Create a new, empty structure
2. Insert your current structure into the new one. Please note that your current structure must already have a Grouping by Sprint. The reason for this is that Filters are executed before Groupers. (So if you insert your structure, add the Sprint Grouper and then apply the Filter, nothing will happen. )
3. Filter: Hide Closed Sprints (make sure to filter on "current level")

It works this way because Sprint Filtering is limited to inserted structure(s), not to the whole structure (which is why you have to use a Transformation in A.) and applies to Sprint Folders/Groups versus issues themselves.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Vlad

[ALM Works]

Natalia Soikko November 21, 2018

Hi Vlad,

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Natalia

Sadeesh Narendran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2021

Hi Natalia,

Here in both ways, Im not able to see spilled over tickets which got moved from closed sprint to Current Sprint (Active)

Is there a way to group in structure with Active Sprint name only.

Sadeesh N

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2021

For the benefit of others who may see this...

The beauty of Structure is that there are many ways to approach things like this (as Vlad's previous response points out).  It's a matter of choosing the best approach for your specific use case. 

@Sadeesh Narendran:  Have a look at my response in the other, related thread you created.  :) 

-dave [ALM Works]

Sadeesh Narendran
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2021

Thanks @Dave Rosenlund & @Vlad[ALM Works] the above solution worked out for me, when i used the filter with choosing "Current Level".

Thanks!

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this

Suggest an answer