How to create tickets for a team that acts as consultant to other internal teams?

Deleted user May 3, 2021

Hello,

Is there a good way to create tickets for a team that support other teams internally? What type of issue would be the most appropriate? This team basically acts as a consultant for other teams on infrastructure topics. It would be important for the team to be able to track those activities (which teams, effort...).

Thank you in advance!

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2021

Hi @[deleted] 

Welcome to the Atlassian community where your peers will try to help you. 

I think I recognise your pain here, having worked with many organisations where the consultancy time impacts the ability of teams to deliver their own targets. 

One approach is to create a new issue type - Consultancy - and define the fields that you want to track such as original team, type of consultancy, urgency, impact, etc.  I would also strongly suggest that you include the linked issues field on the create screen and encourage the team requesting support to include the link to the ticket in their project. 

Once you start to collect his information you can then start to plan for how much time/effort is spent on supporting other teams. You may also then start to limit the number of consultancy tickets taken onboard in each week.  

Remember the old quote from Bob Carter "a lack of planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency for me". By having sight of the requests it will bring visibility to what is often a drain on resources. 

But please remember to be a good team player and continue to help each team and do not use it as a weapon to break down that inter-team relationship.

Phill

Deleted user May 3, 2021

Hello Phill,

Thank you very much for your help! I´ve just created an issue named Consultancy. I added the fields you recommended. I wanted to modify the behaviour of the fields but it´s currently not possible in next-gen projects, as far as I read.

We will experiment and make some changes if needed. Your response was extremely helpful!

Best,

Jacinto

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2021

Hola Jacinto - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

We have created a custom field called Support Team. In that custom field we list each team or consultant that might be available to do work for which they are not a part of that particular team. 

Then for the Support Team or Consultant's board, we use a filter that simple says something like: "Support Team" = Copyediting

Or another example: "Support Team" = "Email Team" 

That way any issue with that value in this field will show on their board. 

Deleted user May 3, 2021

Hello John,

Thank you for your help! I´ve just created a new issue type and taken your and Phill´s response into account. We will experiment and make changes if needed.

Best,

Jacinto 

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events