How to create additional empty board for existing project

Julia Gulnik April 19, 2021

When I create one more board for existing jira project, all the stories/tasks are duplicated on the newly created board.

How I can create additional board for the existing project that will be empty and won't contain stories/tasks from another board in this project?

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Patrick Joerg April 19, 2021

What do you mean with "empty". If you create a new board from scratch, you can start by saying: I want issues from one project. That gives you the filter to all issues of that project.

You can then go ahead and make the filter more specific... until the board is empty, but thats probably not what you want.

Boards are more of a view. The issues are not copied or duplicated at all. You just filter which issues you are going to see.

Which filter I shoul create in the board settings?

Now when I create one more board in existing project all the issues from the board that was created earlier are duplicated on the additional board that I've created later.

I want to add new issues on the newly created board so they won't be duplicated on the other board, they just appear on the board that I've created later for the same project.

Patrick Joerg April 19, 2021

Same answer as Johns later.

Look at it like this:

There "are" only "issues with attributes". One attribute is the "project", others are the "issuetype" and so on.

To differentiate what you see on a board you have to filter those issues.

So really there are no duplicates made by creating a new board. You can alos test that. If you change a issue, its changed on both boards you created.

Like Pavithra B likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2021

Hi Julia,

You just need to create a different filter for the second board. Create the filter as you would any filter - then save it and share it.

The go the second board and go to Board Settings.

Click on the name of the existing filter (don't click on edit the filter). This will allow you to replace the filter with the new filter you just created. 

Then the board will display the issues from your new filter. 

Thanks!

But how this filter should look like? I mean "issue= ..." what command should be written if I want the issues are not duplicated on both boards - different tasks for different board

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2021

How are you differentiating between the issues? Are you using components? Or Labels? Or another means? There needs to be something that sets the issues apart from each other. Then you incorporate that in the filter. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events