How to create a new Kanban board not connected to any project?

Maria Edvardsson August 23, 2022

I am an old Jira user but now working in a different part of the organisation. I want to create a new Kanban board but have no filter or project to connect it to. How do I do? 

1 answer

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2022

Ηι @Maria Edvardsson 

Do the following on the location while creating the board. A filter is mandatory in the following case. This board will be saved on your personal board space.

board location.png

Ok, but I cannot create a project. I don't seem to have that feature. And I don't want to connect the board to any random project... What do I do then?

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2022

@Maria Edvardsson I've edited my answer. Kindly check again and let me know

Hi Alex, I cannot add above mentioned filter. 

Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2022

@Maria Edvardsson

Are you on server or cloud version of jira? Does the jira url ends with atlassian.net, or is a custom one, like the name of your company?

Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2022

You are on a jira server. Kindly read this documentation to create a board https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/creating-a-board-938845220.html

I have read it through before I posted my question. I don't succeed.

Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2022

Why you didn't succeed? What was the problem?

I have to connect the board to a filter or project and I don't want to connect it to a random filter or project. This is a new part of the org.

Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2022

@Maria Edvardsson what was the problem when you follow the documentation and you couldnt create a board. That was my question. :)

What went wrong, and why you couldn't proceed in creating a board?

Usually, if you read the documentation, it is IMPERATIVE to have a filter to create a board. If you don't have a filter, then create one, and then use that filter on your new board.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2022

Hi @Maria Edvardsson , to be clear Kanban boards display issues and issues are associated with projects. Therefore a Kanban board will refer to  a project either directly or indirectly as illustrated below in the board filters.

directly - project = abc

indirectly- labels = my-label

the first will create a board specific to project "abc"

the second will illustrate all issues with a label "my-label" regardless of project.

As Alex conveyed, in Cloud you can creat a board that is placed in your profile rather than directly in a project. I do not believe, but unsure, if that feature is available in Server.

Suggest an answer