How to create A WEBHOOK for email notification

sravya kancherla June 4, 2019

Hi,

when we create an issue in jira even without assign i would like to get email notification.

Can u suggest how to create a webhook for email notification (or) we have a Jira website and Email site to connect these two we need REST API. how can we get REST API

MicrosoftTeams-image.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 5, 2019

Hello @sravya kancherla ,

I am not sure I have a correct understanding on what you are trying to achieve. However, if you want to get a notification every time a ticket is created in Jira, then you can just do this by configuring the notification scheme for the Jira project(s) to send you a notification on "Issue Create" event.

For details on how to do this you can refer to the below documentation page:

Please let me know if this is what you were looking for or provide more details on what you are trying to achieve.

Cheers,
Dario

sravya kancherla June 6, 2019

Hi Dario Bonotto,

Major issue is, i want how to create urlMicrosoftTeams-image.png

Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 6, 2019

Hi @sravya kancherla

There may be a misunderstanding here.

As written in the managing webhooks documentation page:

Webhooks are user-defined HTTP POST callbacks. They provide a lightweight mechanism for letting remote applications receive push notifications from Jira

In other words: when the specified event happens Jira will send some data to an external system configured by you.

The URL you are pointing to is the URL of the external system that will receive the data and this is something that has to be provided by you. Therefore, I have some difficulties understanding what you mean with "I want this url". 

For further details and instructions on how to configure and use WebHooks in Jira please refer to:

Please review the above documentation page and, if further help will still be needed, provide more details on what you are trying to achieve.

Cheers,
Dario

sravya kancherla June 6, 2019

Hi Dario Bonotto,

I have a small question. Is it possible get notification through mail even when issue is created in jira and we didn't assigned anyone to that issue,even then can be get notification and from which app we can create that url

Regads,

Sravya

Dario B
Atlassian Team
June 7, 2019

Hi @sravya kancherla ,

As already mentioned, the way to get a notified by email when an issue is created is to add a notification to the notification scheme associated to the desired project that will be sent to a specific user or group or also just to an external email address that is not associated to any user in Jira.

See below screenshot for details:

Notification.jpg

You can find further information on how to do this in the "Creating a notification scheme"  documentation page.

Also, please notice that this can be only done when using Classic projects. The ability to configure notifications in Next-Gen projects is not available yet and it is being tracked in the below Feature Request ticket:

Finally, I am not sure I understand what you mean with the below sentence:

Is it possible get notification through mail even when issue is created in jira and we didn't assigned anyone to that issue,even then can be get notification and from which app we can create that url

However, let's try to make clear that Webhooks are not sending email notifications.

Webhooks are HTTP POST requests made by Jira to an external system for which you provide the URL (that's the URL from your screenshot) when a specific event occurs.

I hope this explains.

Cheers,
Dario

sravya kancherla June 7, 2019

Hi Dario Bonotto,

Is there is any Admin setting,When we create any issue, so that by default it can be assigned to Person(or)Group. Thanq Answers are so helpful

Regards,

Sravya

Dario B
Atlassian Team
June 7, 2019

@sravya kancherla  You are very welcome :)

There are actually multiple ways to do automatically assign issues once created:

• Per project: In the classic project settings you can choose the default assignee for all the issues created in that project. As written in the Configuring project  documentation page:
    Default Assignee — the user to whom issues in this project are initially assigned when created. Can be either the 'Project Lead' (above), or, if Allow unassigned issues is set to 'On' in Jira's general configuration, 'Unassigned'. There are also default component assignees.
  • Per component: only some issue types associated with the component will be automatically assigned. For more details please see: Organizing work with components

There is also the possibility to assign specific issue types to specific users by using Workflow post functions as discussed in the below thread:

I hope this helps.

Ciao,
Dario

Suggest an answer