How to convert a scrum board to Kanban board?

Padmini Ranganathan February 27, 2018

I created a Scrum board  and started adding tasks . Later I realized that Kanban board is better for this team.

How can i convert the existing scrum board to Kanban  board without losing issues/tasks i created in scrum board

3 answers

5 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2018

You don’t convert a board. Simply create a new board and use the very same filter. All of the issues will appear on both boards. When ready simply delete the scrum board. Note that you can’t delete the scrum board if there is an active sprint so complete the sprint first. 

You will not lose any issues as issues belong to projects not boards. Boards are simply filtered views of issues. 

Alis-Hathway Ward (DO NOT USE) September 24, 2020

Won't that technically nuke all of your other settings, though, since you're setting up from scratch? That's the main reason I use the copy board function, actually, so I don't have to manually recreate all my filters, columns, etc.

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2020

well yes in fact it will. if you have quick filters and such I would simply copy and paste them in during the recreations process. Next-gen allows for switching between Kanban and Scrum.

cshilling-powerplan April 15, 2021

It's disappointing that the best answer to this question is "you can't." 

Like # people like this
ledorsapmalat August 11, 2021

Here's what I did

• Created a Kanban Board on a Different Project
  • Move all my Tickets from Scrum Board to Backlog
  • Modify each ticket (not sure how to do it at once) and move to that new project. 
  • It will change the ticket numbers - just take note
Like # people like this
0 votes
Andreas Gala January 25, 2019

If landed here because you want the Project Settings to change (they are different for Kanban and Scrum projects) you may be interested in Atlassian's suggestion for how to migrate between these project types. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/migrate-between-next-gen-and-classic-projects-957974933.html

Ken Hoang July 9, 2019

Will this copy all issues from one board to another or will it make the board you are moving issues from empty?

Joris Vleminckx December 12, 2019

The procedure explicitly states to use a Bulk Move operation to move all issues to a new "project".

Like ledorsapmalat likes this
0 votes
Padmini Ranganathan March 2, 2018

Thanks I moved the issues to backlog , and deleted the board . Created a Kanban board and added all issues back . Even without moving all issues , deleting a board and creating Kanban board w would have worked 

Victor Ng KP July 3, 2019

I wanted to do the same. Are you on NextGen or Classic?

Suggest an answer