How to construct custom field: list with values and free text option

Iwona Zielinska March 25, 2021

Hello Jira Community

I want to define a custom field. 

I need advanced scenario: Ie. single picker list with couple of predefined values and one last titled, ie. Other should allow to free type the value or describe it. 

Can this be achieved?

Best regards, 

Iwona

1 answer

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2021

Unfortunately, I don't think you can achieve this.

You might want to test a label field, or Labels : it will allow you to create on the spot what you want and to select a choice on a list but it is case sensitive so you better test it before.

Iwona Zielinska March 27, 2021

Thank you Flavien, I thought so. Labels we use in this project already for different purpose and it does offer too much freedom in a sense that user can put whatever and it will be remembered in the database.

After some further considerations I decided to go with two fields. One field sourcing records from teh predefined list of values, and last value is "Other". The next field "Other" allowing free text, and with hint that it should be populated only if a customer chose Other in previous field. 

This feature however looks like a good feature request candidate,

Best regards,

Iwona

Suggest an answer