How to configure read only permission to advanced roadmaps

Jost Anklamm March 2, 2021

I want to grant read only access to advanced roadmaps for a customer. This person should have access to a specific advanced roadmap only, no boards no nothing. He is also not allowed to change something.
Is it possible to configure such a special user in jira-software? And which steps should I go?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 2, 2021

Hi @Jost Anklamm ,

Would this customer have user credentials to access the rest of the Jira instance? There's no really simple way of sharing a plan like this... if they don't have permission to access the boards then I think that this would prevent the issues from those boards being loaded into a plan (plans only contain issues that the current user has permission to access). 

If you're looking for a readonly view I'm wondering if what you'd be looking for is the ability to export an image of a plan? However, that would obviously be static rather than live data which might not be what you're looking for.

Regards,

Dave

0 votes
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2021

Is this for a Classic or Next-gen project?

Jost Anklamm March 2, 2021

Hi Mykenna, this is a classic project. Next-Gen is not supported by advanced roadmaps, as I read.
Thanks, in advance.

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2021

There is a "Roadmap" functionality in Next-gen projects. It's more limited than what we call "Advanced Roadmaps" (aka "Plans") in Classic projects.

I was just confirming project type, as it makes a big difference for user permissions.

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2021

Advanced Roadmaps for Classic projects (for Premium and Enterprise plans) have a way to share a read-only view of the plan.

When you're in the (editable) plan, there is a "Share" button at the top, which provides a URL to a read-only, live version of the plan.

It might be worth experimenting with that link, to see what minimal user permissions are required for that read-only plan view to be visible, without access to other areas in Jira.

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2021

After some experimentation, I think I can confirm that Jira cannot support your use case of:

• read-only visibility to an Advanced Roadmap plan, and
  • no visibility to the issues in the project(s) related to that plan.

At first I was encouraged by the "Advanced Roadmaps Viewer" permission under "Settings > Products > Advanced Roadmaps permissions". My hope was that enabling that for just a single user, with no other permissions, would do the trick.

Nope.

Such a user cannot see the plan without also having the "Browse Projects" permission in the related Permission Scheme(s). That is the most minimal permission in Jira, and once granted, it provides access not only to the plan, but also to the issues in Jira (so the user could see the board, the backlog, the issue details, etc).

So yes, Jira can support read-only access to an Advanced Roadmap plan. However, it must also allow such a user to see the issues behind that plan.

Surprisingly, such a "read-only user" actually CAN affect changes to issues. How? By manually invoking an Automation Rule. So if anyone does want to push the boundaries of permissions in Jira to support read-only users, be sure that you lock down your Automation Rules to parallel with your permission schemes.

Like # people like this
Jost Anklamm March 4, 2021

Thanks a lot for your investigation! That was my intension, also.

Somewhere in between, I saw a picture of sharing a next-gen roadmap to a "viewer". After some experimentation, I could not find that possibility by myself.

Did you know how to configure a next-gen to see the "viewer" option, sharing a roadmap? - I know that this simple roadmap has other limitations compared to plans.

Thanks, in advance

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events