How to configure firewall for communication between JIRA Cloud and Bitbucket Server ?

Sébastien ROUAIX May 22, 2019

Hi

We have a bitbucket server hosted on AWS EC2 and we used Jira Cloud. For security reason we must put bitbucket server behind VPN. 

As Jira cloud doesn"t support functionnality of VPN access, we must configure Security group in AWS to permit JIRA Cloud to have access to bitbucket server as it seems that the communication is bidirectional.

The problem is that if we read  https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/atlassian-cloud-ip-ranges-and-domains-744721662.html

there are a lot of ip range used by Atlassian Cloud (AMAZON, Atlassian...)but no information of IP used by JIRA software to communicate with Bitbucket (example NAT address for traffic output of atlassian cloud product).

And It is impossible to open all AMAZON ip range.

• it is not secure
  • there are some limitation on security group rules number.

is there a solution?

2 answers

0 votes
Gian Israel Nampi June 26, 2020

Hi @Sébastien ROUAIX

I did face similar scenario but with integration of Zendesk, our Jira can be access only by VPN, I used the AWS Security groups to whitelist the IP addresses provided by the Zendesk support but couldn't proceed because of the limit, I then used other tools which is CloudFlare and it solved the problem.

Thank you.

0 votes
Michael Le April 26, 2020

We have a similar setup and just allow these CIDRs from this list and it's working fine for our integration with JIRA cloud. We did have to request a security group rules limit increase.  

Suggest an answer