How to configure fields while moving an issue

tifonas-katrina February 8, 2018

Hi,

Recently I have an issue with Move functionality of Jira.

As soon as a Task is moved to Bug within the same project, previous admin mentions that "Modified the DT scheme to enforce the Epic field when issues are moved". Where can an admin configure things when an issue is mived?

Any answer is helpful,

Katerina

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2018

You do not configure the move operation.

The move operation scans for differences in the configuration between source and target and makes sure they are minimally compatible.  If something is compatible, it does not ask or perform any migration or update because it doesn't need to.

Ok, then statement from previous admin is invalid.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2018

Indeed, it must be an optional field for the target.

If you made it mandatory, then the move would start prompting you to enter it for issues where it is currently empty.

No prompt, no nothing.

This is madness. I'm investigating issue for months

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2018

But there's nothing to investigate.  You ask Jira to move an issue, Jira checks the data is valid for the target configuration, asks for updated data id it needs it, and moves it when it has valid data.

tifonas-katrina February 9, 2018

I do not investigate the move functionality. I investigate how an optional field causes such a big trouble.

Regards,

Katerina

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2018

I am sorry, I do not understand that. 

You asked about a problem that happens during move, although it is not clear what the problem was (not from you, but what the previous admin said did not make a lot of sense)

I have tried to explain what a move does and when it asks you for more information, and I think you understood that. 

But now you're asking about an optional field causing trouble, when you have not really told us what the problem is.

I suggest going back to basics.  Can you tell us:

• What you are doing (e.g. use "edit" to change the issue type from A to B)
  • What Jira does (just changes it?  Asks you questions and then changes it?)
  • What you are expecting it to do
  • What errors you get (if any)

Suggest an answer