How to configure Kanban boards to show Epic tickets?

Tristan Pouliquen May 4, 2021

Hello,

At AssoConnect, we are trying to implement our Product & Development workflow in Jira.

We have three types of pieces: Epics, that break down in Tracks (releasable increments) that break down in Tasks.

I've created workflows for each type of ticket, and created Kanban boards, for each step of our process, mapping the statuses of each step to the columns.

Eg: discovery.png

As you can see on the screenshot:
- I have unchecked the "Epics panel" option
- Tickets are listed on the "Discovery - Launcher" & "Discovery - In progress" statuses.

However, this is the view of my board:
discovery2.png

What have I missed? What do I have to do so that my Epics tickets in Discovery statuses appear in my board correctly?

Thanks by advance,

Tristan

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2021

Hello @Tristan Pouliquen 

Can you show us the filters for the boards?

Does your board have a sub filter?

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 8.31.16 AM.png

Hey ! Thanks for answering and solving my issue!

I indeed had this default subfilter on & removing it did the trick!

Do you know why this default value is being set? I guess if Jira put it there it's for a reason no?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2021

When using a Kanban board typically one does not want to see the issues that are already included in a Released Version. The assumption is that if the issue has a Fix Version value for a Release Version that is already Released, then those issues are already solved and don't need to be displayed on the board. This subfilter excludes those issues from the board.

Are you putting a value in the Fix Version field of the issues that is for a Release Version that has been Released? If the work has not been completed and released, that would not make sense. The Fix Version field should either be empty or it can contain a Release Version that is Unreleased.

I have not used this field yet, and it does not show in my issues template. That's why I didn't touch this part as I supposed it might be some internal mechanics of JIRA

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 4, 2021

If removing the subfilter is the only change you made, it would've only had an impact if there was data in the Fix Version(s) field of the issues.

You may not have the field displayed, but it is possible that data has been added to the field. You can check by using the Search page to look up the issues. Change the output from Details View to List View.

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 1.50.58 PM.png

Then add the Fix Version field to the column output

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 1.51.54 PM.png

Tristan Pouliquen May 5, 2021

I don't have anything showing when I filter on "Fix versions" or any susbstring, either in "My defaults" or "System".

It'll remain a mystery to me!

Thanks again for your help

0 votes
Sagar
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 4, 2021

Hi @Tristan Pouliquen You able to see other issues like task or story on the board if you added them in the board?

Hi, indeed I'm unable to see Tracks & Tasks in their respective boards also.

They show up in the tickets view of the filters attached to each board however.

filter.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events