How to configure JIRA for outside the firewall access

Donald White May 12, 2014

Can you configure JIRA on internal servers so outside stakeholders can have project level access?

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2014

You'll need to give them accounts, and then set up your network to allow access to it.

I'm afraid network settings are up to you - it depends on where you're running the system on your network and how you want to expose it. Firewalls, proxies, routing and DNS may all need some attention.

Your Jira system will be "listening" for incoming connections on a server name and port (look at the "base url" to get started on that). You'll have to route incoming external access to it, but we can't begin to point you at any docs until we know if you're going to do that via IIS, Apache, Nginx, some other web front end, or just a raw connection (not that I'd recommend whacking Jira out on the net without something in front of it).

Thanks you, I willl pass along to our net admin/secruity team. Would a hosted option make allowing outside stakeholders project-level access much easier? Is there a page that you can point me to that explains pros/cons of internally installed VS hosted, including impact on plugins such as JIRA Capture.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2014

I honestly don't know - all you need is "jira on the internet", but whether a hosted or internal one is better is pretty much up to you.

Hosted versions are often restricted in the advanced functionality and more expensive than self-hosted stuff, but mean you've got less maintenance. Personally, I'd give "OnDemand" a shot - if it works for you, it could well be a much more simple option.

0 votes
codelab expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2014

Yes, you can do it.

E.g. you can create a rule on application level which allow the tomcat.exe for external access on port 80.

Can you please point me to the documentation for doing that.

Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2014

Hi Donald, you can either change the port directly in your Tomcat configuration files or, if you're not confortable exposing Tomcat directly to the internet, you can configure a proxy in front of JIRA, as Apache for example.

Note that you'd also need to configur access permission in your firewall to allow outside connections to your application, the exact steps to it may variate depending on your network infraestruture.

I hope it helps.

Cheers

Suggest an answer