How to change the order of orphaned subtasks in the column

SamLyon October 5, 2017

Create a story with a subtask

Move parent to different column

Try to move subtask to a different position in its column, seems to be stuck.

I would like to move a subtask to show priority the only way I have found is by brining the parent back and moving that which seems unwieldy.

adding for clarity:

In Progress col

--task1

--task2

----subtaskOfTask3

QA col

--task3

I want to move subtaskOfTask3 to the top of the col

3 answers

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2017

@SamLyon, I want to reset here and restate what I think you are saying and them give my $0.02.

• You have a board that is displaying Tasks and some tasks have sub-tasks.
  • If the sub-tasks are in the same column under the task then you can change the ranking (order) of the sub-tasks. Example: you have T1:S1,S2,S3 then you rerank to T1:S2,S1,S3.
  • Now you move the task (T1) from say To Do to In Progress but sub-tasks still in To Do.
  • Next you try to change the ranking (relative relationship of sub-tasks), e.g. back to S1, S2, S3 and you are unable to do so.

Assuming this is an accurate restatement...

The fact that you can do this when the Task is in the same column as the sub-tasks and not when the task is in a different column does seem a bit odd. However as others have noted, sub-tasks should not be ranked independent of the parent. Certainly I see value of ‘ordering’ subtasks under the parent but IMO you should never be able to ‘rank’ them independently of the parent. Example, the following should not be allowed: 

• Before: T5, T7, T1:S1,S2,S3
  • After: T5, S2, T7, T1:S1,S3

In the above example the correct process would be to move T1 above T5.

Getting off my soap box and back to your issue and my recommendation - If having them in the same column allows you to achieve your goal you need to stick w/ that for now and you can open a suggestion with Atlassian if you want a different behavior.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2017

Columns on boards have nothing to do with priority, they are groups of status.

If you can't move an issue from one status to another (i.e. into another column on a board), then the workflow is set up to disallow it.

Have a look at the workflow for the sub-task type, and check what it allows from the current status.  If the diagram says there is a transition from the current status into a status in the column you are trying to get it into, then there is a condition on the workflow blocking it.

SamLyon October 5, 2017

They are groups of statuses, but they are ordered groups. I can change the order of all other ticket types just not subtasks. I can change the order of the subtask if I bring back the parent and move that then take the parent away.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2017

Ah, I think you're talking about "ranking" now, not columns

Ranking sub-tasks outside their parent issue is nonsense, so you can't do it when they've been divorced from the parents.

SamLyon October 6, 2017

Don't know the correct word and it probably confuses matters using one as it will clash with a jira field somewhere. I want to move the sub task to the top (or all sub tasks as they are grouped) without brining back the parent. As I said above It looks like a bug.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2017

It's not a bug, you're trying to do something that makes no sense.  Ranking sub-tasks outside their parent is nonsense.

SamLyon October 6, 2017

so why can I move a task to the top of a col? if its nonsense for one surly its nonsense for all. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2017

Because tasks are not sub-tasks, and don't have a parent, so they can be ranked against their peers.  The peer group for sub-tasks is "the sub-tasks on this issue", the peer group for tasks is "all other tasks at my level in the backlog"

SamLyon October 13, 2017

the group of subtasks is the representation of the task once you move the parent out so you should be able to move them by your logic.

0 votes
scherbank October 5, 2017

I think that is it a process issue. How the sub-task can have higher priority than the master ticket? it should not.

SamLyon October 5, 2017

the master is in another col so it not above it only unrelated tickets 

scherbank October 5, 2017

it is not above but it connected logically.

you should manage priority and rank of master only. all sub-tasks are of the same with master priority and rank

SamLyon October 6, 2017

ok ignore priority as it is misleading I think. I want to move the orphaned sub task to the top of its column. It works with all other types and the message says it has moved so it feels like a bug.

Suggest an answer