How to change Default Member of Project Role for already created projects?

Dominik September 25, 2019

Hey,

When I go into System->Project Roles I can "Manage Deafult Members" for the given roles. 

To the one of the roles I would like to add new group (as default member), but when I do it, this group is not added to the projects, which are already created. 
Is there any solution to solve it? Or do I have to add this group to each existing project separetly?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2019

No, the defaults only apply at the time of creating a new project, they're not retrospective because you really don't want them to be - imagine a secured project for sensitive information being opened up to everyone just because you change a default.

You will, as you suspect, need to amend each project

0 votes
Poat August 4, 2022

zz this is silly.  I thought roles were just a way to group up groups / people.

So I assssssssssumed if I add a new group it'll reflect everywhere.. but no.  roles seem pointless.  going to remove them from my scheme and go back to using groups...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2022

Groups are a way to group up people.

Roles are a way to enable flexibility in who can access which projects, they define persona for the people in that particular project.

Groups work, but they become impossible to maintain at any form of scale.  I once worked in a place where we had 8 Jira admins.  The 3 of us in the UK did real admin work, the 5 overseas did nothing but maintain groups.  If we had not moved to using roles when they become available, we'd have needed another 6 in the UK to do nothing but groups.

Use roles, they're far better than groups.

Suggest an answer