Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How to calculate the value of a custom field based on values selected from two dropdowns?

Edited

I have two dropdown fields, both of which is a list: 1,2,3,4,5.

Dropdown field names are:

1. Sample impact (1-5)
  2. Sample probability (1-5)

What I want is to set the value for the field: Sample Factor (number field) based on changes in value of either of the above fields. Logic for it is: Sample Factor = Sample Impact (1-5) * Sample Probability (1 -5)

How do I achieve this using jira automation smart values?

I have tried the below expressions:

• {{#=}}{{issue.Sample probability (1-5).value}} * {{issue.Sample impact (1-5).value}}{{/}}
  • {{#=}}{{issue.fields.Sample probability (1-5).value}} * {{issue.fields.Sample impact (1-5).value}}{{/}}

Sample Factor value gets updated on the issue but automation audit log shows the below error:

• Error rendering smart-values when executing this rule: Failed to get value for issue.Sample probability (1-5).value: {{#=}}{{issue.Sample probability (1-5).value}} * {{issue.Sample impact (1-5).value}}{{/}}

I also tried using custom field id:

• {{#=}}{{issue.fields.customField_idxxx).value}} * {{issue.fields.customField_idxxx.value}}{{/}}
For which i go the error: 
  • Failed to get value for issue.fields.Sample_impact_(1-5).value: {{#=}}{{issue.fields.customField_idxxx}} *{{issue.fields.customField_idyyy.value}}{{/}}

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
John M Funk Community Leader Jun 22, 2022

Hi Jemima - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You shouldn't need the word "value" anywhere in your smart values code. 

So try this: 

• {{#=}}{{issue.Sample probability (1-5)}} * {{issue.Sample impact (1-5)}}{{/}}

Or

• {{#=}}{{issue.customfield_xxxx}} * {{issue.customfield_xxxx}}{{/}}

Thank you so much!

• {{#=}}{{issue.customfield_xxxx}} * {{issue.customfield_xxxx}}{{/}}

This worked for me while the other resulted in the same error as before.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...

14,385 views 37 44
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you