How to best do user story tasking for Scrum teams in JIRA?

Mat Rezaei August 16, 2016

Hi all,

New to using JIRA and previously used Rally (https://www.rallydev.com) with Scrum teams were we could easily do "tasking" of user stories in the tool during sprint planning. This included task to story estimate roll-ups and ability to move stories with their associated tasks or split them appropriately based on status of task completion. I'm currently trying to replicate the same functionality with another team that is using JIRA but this is proving harder than expected in JIRA.

As I understand it in JIRA we can use sub-tasks to create user story tasks:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/creating-issues-and-sub-tasks-764478439.html

No problem creating issues (stories) or sub-tasks (tasks) in JIRA. Managed to do this just fine.

The problem arises when you try to move stories between states. The tasks don't follow stories automatically and if you move the tasks individually the story doesn't follow automatically. At least not out of the box. You have to install a plug-in and configure advanced workflows with separate "transition" and "post-function" conditions to supposedly make this all work:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/advanced-workflow-configuration-776636620.html

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/moving-a-sub-task-to-in-progress-does-not-transition-its-parent-s-to-the-same-status-779158949.html

Further, I am not sure if durations in sub-tasks roll-up easily into their parent issues or if they easily burn down through task completion and if these all get reflected in their appropriate stories and metrics (e.g. burn down charts).

As previously mentioned I'm new to JIRA so if I'm overlooking the obvious please let me know but all this seems an awful amount of advanced custom configuration for a Scrum workflow that is pretty basic in other tools. This functionality must be used daily by hundreds of Scrum teams. So before getting too deep in to the weeds I wanted to consult with the community here to see if this custom configuration is the right path to pursue or if there is a simpler solution I'm overlooking for tasking user stories in JIRA?

Any expert help and opinions are appreciated!

Mat

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2016

About your first question as you researched already there are ways to automatically transition parent issue state based on child but in JIRA the parent Issue and child issue workflows may be different and they are independent of each other.

About second question, If you are using Time (hours) for estimation then Sub-tasks estimates are rolled up to Parent. However in case of Story points, this is only available at Parent level i.e. Story. You can manually add Story Point custom field to Sub-task but that would not roll up to Parent.

0 votes
Mat Rezaei August 23, 2016

Thank you @Ravi Sagar [Author - Mastering JIRA 7] for your answer. Appreciate your help as I'm new to JIRA smile

First point: I've created 2 separate workflows. One for 'stories' and one simple one for 'tasks'. The "task workflow" is basically To Do, In Progress, Done and associates sub-tasks with the workflow. The "story workflow" has more steps such as Ready, Dev, QA, UAT, etc.

I tried looking for a post-function transition configurations in the 'task flow' to be able to move a story in the 'story flow' but wasn't able to find one:

jira.png

Do you know how to transition an issue in one workflow based on the state of sub-tasks in another workflow? Or can you point me to some examples by any chance?

Second point: yes I validated the sub-tasks durations when using Time (hours) roll up to the issue.

Suggest an answer