How to automate the creation of a Yearly task

Kate March 21, 2024

I am trying to build out a list of tickets to be created on a date towards the beginning of the year every year. 

I've tried using the scheduling options with a CRON expression, but I keep getting an error message. Online research tells me the CRON expression is correct but no dice.

Does anyone have an option I can try to get the automation to run on the 5th of January every year?

CRON_Expression_ERROR.png 

3 answers

3 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2024

Hi Kate, this is my new favorite site for CRON work.  Give this a shot

0 0 9 5 JAN ? 2025/1

It should trigger it on Jan 5 at 9:00AM every year starting in 2025

Hope it helps.  

Kate March 21, 2024

It worked! Thanks for this and thank you for the CRON website :)

Like John Funk likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2024

Hello @Kate 

The link there that says "Learn more about CRON expressions" leads to the following page. Did you review the information there?

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/manage-filters/

What is the "8" for in your expression?

Based on the page above, this expression should work:

0 0 1 5 JAN ? *

Run the rule at 1:00:00 am on the 5th of January, regardless of the day of the week that is on, every year.

Kate March 21, 2024

Hi Trudy,

Thanks for the expression - proven to work! My one had the 8 in it as I was hoping to have it run at 8am on the 5th. Looks from your response that I needed another 0 at the beginning to make a correct CRON expression. 

Thanks for your help

Like Trudy Claspill likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Dexter de Vera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2024
0 0 0 5 JAN ? *

Starts exactly every 5th of January.

Kate March 21, 2024

Proven to work! thank you so much ;)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin